Thread: Hollywood!

Default Hollywood!

Various shots of where I come from. Let me know what you think.

Music is "Sink, Florida, Sink" by Against Me!

Last edited by J. Anshen; 06-24-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Your video is too dark. The shots are too shaky, bring a tripod along with you next time. Too many close ups, remember to use a wide shot, then a medium shot and then a close up. Set the scene first and then bring the viewer into the action. Did you use some type of paint effect on it as the colour seems strange or was the camera low quality? A video showing Hollywood would work better during daytime and we need to see something you wouldn't normally see on tv or in the movies, in other words there is no hook in this video to keep the audience interested.

If you want to make a night time video, I aasume you did shoot it at night time? Then you need to include night time scenes again bringing the audience into the action.

i just wanted to show the city...not anything special. plus the reason why it comes up dark is cuz i edited on my laptop, which is brighter than a desktop haha next time i'll edit on my desktop haha.
    Last edited by J. Anshen; 06-25-2009 at 02:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Jacob,

In very few words Nikosony managed to give you LOADS of useful advice.

You posted on a forum dedicated to criticising films so that you and others can benefit from that criticism. I realise you've "thanked" him, but ...

Getting all defensive is not going to help you get further constructive help. Neither is giving the impression you don't care enough to have actually watched you video on-line before posting a link to it here. (The "haha's" add to the impression you don't care, and your only other post on this forum reeks "juvenile")

Nikosony went beyond the bounds of duty watching enough of your movie to post such a useful list of pointers. Most would see the first few seconds, think "MUCH too dark and wobbly", check that it wasn't posted by one of our regular "arty" contributers, see it was a first time poster and then move on.

Stick around, take the flak, enter into meaningful discussion and learn. By all means have a laugh or three along the way.

But the moment you get all defensive and give the impression you don't care, your films will not be watched - there are so many others for people to watch and comment on.
    Tim

Whoa. Didn't mean to give the impression of not caring. But, I will try and stay more "professional". Sorry about that.

6. Default

I think you need to calm down buddy, didn't seem to be defensive to me.

Just reasoning why the video seems dark; no harm done, and it seemed more like he was just intending to get some good shots of the city, not produce a masterpiece.

But now to the video; good work, reminds me of Traffic, haha

Thank you. I don't think a masterpiece could ever be created with my camera. Plus, the "Traffic-look" is what I was going for. The reason it's shaky is cause I was in the car most of the video and if anyone has been in Hollywood/Beverly Hills...their roads suck. I'm not trying to defend the video, I was just explaining why it appeared as it did. Sorry to anyone who thought I was defending...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J. Anshen View Post
    Whoa. Didn't mean to give the impression of not caring. But, I will try and stay more "professional". Sorry about that.
    No. The apology is mine for interpreting your "haha"s incorrectly.

As for your comment about a masterpiece never being created with your camera - whilst it may be pretty unlikely, don't dismiss the possibility.

What's in front of the camera and what it tells us and how it tells us is farm more important than the quality of the lens etc.
    Tim