Thread: I need some advice.

Default I need some advice.

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and would appreicate any advice on whether to upgrade my Camcorder or not.

I currently have a Sony DCR-PC5E camcorder which records on Mini DV. I bought this camcorder about 8 years ago and I remember I paid the best part of £1000 for it at the time. I've been really happy with this camcorder since buying it and it produces truly great results. However, as this is now getting old my head has been turned by the arrival of the High Def camcorders at what appears to be competative prices.

To be honest at present I cant afford to spend a great deal, but have been tempted by something like the Toshiba Camileo H10 or H20.

Would something like that spec of camera provide a significant upgrade over what I've got? Or would I be better sticking with my old trusted Sony.

I general use it for holiday / events etc and watch back video through my tv (which supports HD).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance,

Western Europe

I haven't used either of those two Toshiba models you list but I would stick with something from either Canon, Sony or Panasonic. As you say you were very happy with the results you got from your old camcorder which was a Sony so I would tend to keep that going and look at Sony again. It depends on how much you want to spend, for Hight Definition you are looking at £650 upwards. Most of the current crop of Sony's come with built in hard disks ranging from 80GB upwards, you should look at the HDR-XR105 or the HG-20. Canon also does the HF200 (uses SD memory cards to record onto) which comes in at just under £700 and has got good reports on this forum.