Thread: Need help and advice with this Pc. =)

Default Need help and advice with this Pc. =)

Hello!!

Im upgrading my pc and i would like to know if this selection of new hardware from ebuyer will be ideal for my needs.

I have a canon hv30 and wish to make HD films of about 30 mins in length. I will use after effects cs3 for most of the CGI (Gunshots, Explosions etc...) and Blender 3D for 3d work.

Im buying from ebuyer:

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3GHz Socket AM2+ 6MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3GHz Socket AM2+ 6MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Ebuyer

Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2 GeForce 6100 Socket AM2 onboard VGA 6 channel audio mATX Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2 GeForce 6100 Socket AM2 onboard VGA 6 channel audio mATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory - Ebuyer

Samsung EcoGreen F2 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache - OEM

Samsung EcoGreen F2 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache - OEM - Ebuyer

Im keeping the graphics card and sound card from my old pc as they are very goood! =)

Will this new pc do the job?

Thanks x

I would change the hard drive because "Eco" or "Green" hard drives are made to use low power, making them not as fast as others would be.

Blog Entries

According to the Samung site, the 'Eco' drive does funtion at 5,400rpm. But (and I'm not sure how they do this) they claim similar performance to a standard 7400rpm drive.

"Samsung F2EG has the worlds best areal density at 5400RPM rotation speeds. High density means more bits pass under the head faster, and it improves the drive performance. Samsung employs an advanced data recording technology, which brings the next generation technology into todays single disk platform, enabling Samsungs new 5400RPM drives to perform at current 7200RPM drive speeds. The internal SysMark test results confirms that F2EG performs as same as 7200RPM drive speeds, and even 10% faster than than other green drives"

Judgement call on that one, clearly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Judgement call on that one, clearly.
    Andy, thanks for posting that, but I hope you don't mind if I counter the manufacturer's claims with the results of PC Pros recent group tests on hard drives.

In simple terms the EcoGreen 500GB performed less well that Samsungs Spinpoint F1 750GB. Read speed 83Mb/s vs 99Mb/s - write speed 69Mb/s vs 89Mb/s. Quite a difference.

To put this in some perspective the (much more expensive) 10,000rpm WD 300GB Velociraptor managed 103Mb/s read and 86Mb/s write (yes slower write speed than the Samsung F1)

However the article concludes that if you specifically want a green drive, then the Samsung is the one to go for, beating all others in the green category.

When I built my current PC two years ago, I went for Samsung Spinpoint 400GBs (not sure if they were F1's then) - mainly because they were very quiet - and they have proved so.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 06-27-2009 at 11:32 PM.
    Tim