Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegas 7 widescreen render

Default Vegas 7 widescreen render

Hi All

I have found a weird issue in Vegas 7 with the rendering templates. When I was using Vegas 5 I would create the project using the DV PAL Widescreen Template and then render to MPEG2 and use the drop down and select the DVD PAL Widescreen setting.

Vegas 7 has the project template for PAL Widescreen but when you get to render there is no DVD PAL Widescreen setting only a Architect Widescreen preset which is video stream only!!

Ok, so I decided to just use the DVD PAL setting and under "Custom" changed the aspect from 4:3 to 16:9

The end result was a 16:9 MPEG2 clip BUT the footage seems like it didn't interlace correctly...on the TV whenever there is motion you get strange scan lines on the movement. When there is no motion it look fine!!

Anyone got any idea why Sony has dropped the DVD PAL Widescreen render preset and why the video appears almost non or incorrectly interlaced?????

The same clip rendered in Vegas 5 is perfect!!! BTW: I'm compiling the DVD VOB files using DVDLab in both cases so the problem seems to be in the render settings of Vegas 7

Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Softweigh View Post
    Hi All

Anyone got any idea why Sony has dropped the DVD PAL Widescreen render preset and why the video appears almost non or incorrectly interlaced?????
    They haven't dropped it. It was always there in my version 7 (no longer loaded but as all my work was in widescren I would have noticed!)
    Tim

Hi Tim

Many Thanks!!

You say "not loaded" so does that mean it doesn't appear on the drop down when you want to render to a preset?? If so where do you find the template???

I still cannot find anywhere to load that template!!! I can find the Architect PAL Widescreen video stream only .... as the DVD PAL is still 4:3 ... ???

Any idea which folder the templates are stored in??? My only other option is to use the Widescreen PAL Architect one and enable the audio stream!!

Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Softweigh View Post
    You say "not loaded" so does that mean it doesn't appear on the drop down when you want to render to a preset??
    Sorry for the ambiguity. No, I meant Sony Vegas 7 is not loaded on my PC (running version 8 and 9).
    I've no idea what may have happened to your template. I suspect the settings are actually held in the registry.
    Tim

Hi Tim

I have a friend from another forum who has exactly the same problem BUT with another NLE

Can anyone identify what this problem is??? Pic is attached..it ONLY happens when the subjects move so it seems to be either a field order problem or an interlacing problem. If I know the problem I can simply correct the template!!

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Chris have you zoomed in using pan & crop? It looks to me like you have - if so that's the root of your problem.
    Your footage has 576 interlaced lines.
    If you zoom in to say half the size then each original line is now spread over two lines (I haven't explained that too well, but I hope you know what I mean)
    If you want to zoom in on interlaced footage, you really need to deinterlace first.

That's the principle, but I've nver really worked out the best way of doing this. So I'm afraid I'll bail out here rather than risk giving bad advice.
    Tim

Hey Tim

100% correct!! I have the same opinion from the Pana3CCD forum from another Tim !!

It was 4:3 footage that I resized to 16:9 and didn't de-interlace first (the pic posted was actually someone elses footage!!!) According to the other Tim you can crop and zoom interlaced footage in Vegas as LONG as you select interpolate under interlacing in the Project Template. Probably easier than trying to de-interlace with other software too!! Then you just render your newly edited footage the usual way and the render template (by default) will produce an interlaced MPEG2 video that will display correctly on a TV.

If one is comtemplating using any DV footage and plans to do any zooming then it's probably a good idea to setup your project properties to accommodate the resizing!!

Thanks again for all your help

Chris

Blog Entries

Are we not stronger working together?

Thanks for the useful info.

I would suggest it's probably worth dealing with the sections you want to zoom in on in a separate project and render their output back as dv-avi. The reaon being that the process of de-interlacing/reinterlacing will result in a reduction in quality and you don't really want this for the rest of the movie.
    Tim

Hi Tim

Many thanks for the "thanks". Actually the Vegas manual seems very vague about this part of project properties and some other posts indicate that the "interlace" options are purely how Vegas will deal with your clip on the timeline but the concenus is that it's usually over-ridden by the render option which decides by default that the video will be interlaced and the project properties (also by default) set the interlacing to "none" so standard DV-AVI captured from a camcorder as interlaced footage is de-interlaced when the media is put onto the time line but rendered out again as interlaced.

The error actually occurs when the footage is cropped and zoomed as you already say but technically Vegas should have already de-interlaced it so it shouldn't give a problem. When I get a minute I'll grab some stock standard DV-AVI footage (just a minute or so..but with plenty of motion!) and set each project in all 3 interlaced modes and then crop to 16:9 and see if the problem is solved that way???
    The problem is most definately the pan/crop function as standard footage runs perfectly using defaults.

It would be interesting to know what other Vegas users are using in Project Properties in the interlace box?????

Thanks again Tim

Chris

Blog Entries

This 16:9 business is OT from the original discussion, but I'm a LOT clearer about this aspect. Both 16:9 and 4:3 PAL standard def DV (ie MiniDV) are 720 x 576.

The difference is the shape of the pixels.

16:9 is NOT cropped 4:3 so. Both 4:3 and 16:9 have 576 lines.

If you CHOOSE to crop a 16:9 clip in order for it to fill a 4:3 frame, then you are zooming in and you will get an interlace problem. If you simply output it as 16:9 (with black vertical bars either side - pillarboxing) interlacing will not be an issue (assuming your target is interlaced - eg a TV)

On the other hand if you crop a 16:9 image to fill a 4:3 frame, you are cutting off the left and right part of the image but not changing the number of lines. Therefore you will not have an interlacing problem.

My comment in my previous post about interlacing is to do with preparing stuff for the internet. I did two renders of the same clip. With deinterlace mode set to none, if I freeze frame, lines appear. If I render with deinterlace set to interpolate, then they don't.

I was about to prove this point by talking a file captured directly from tape and playing it in WMP expecting it to show horizontal lines when I froze the image. But it didn't!

Continuing...
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast