Thread: Editing a item out of a video

Default Editing a item out of a video

My daugher is making a short video for class. It cam out great - so far. There is one scene where her toes got in the frame. How can I go about editing them out of each frame? Is that posisble or do I need to buy yet another plug-in?

Thanks
    Vince
    Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Version 9.0b (Build 92)
    WindowsXP Professional SP3

Blog Entries

I'm afraid the answer hasn't changed from when Andy answered it in the other thread.

Think about it logically.
    You have some toes in the frame.
    Take them out.
    What do you want to show where the toes were? Just black?

That could be done quite easily (though laboriously) if you had Vegas Pro, using masking tools.
    It could also be done even more laboriously in Movie Studio by overlaying still images the shape of the toes.

But I'm guessing what you really want is whatever was behind the toes when you were filming.

Again, this could be done, very laboriously in Pro and extremely laboriously in Movie Studio.

Realistically to stand ANY chance of doing this you need the footage to have been shot on a ROCK SOLID camera. Then you need EXACTLY THE SAME SHOT - and I do mean exactly -the camera has to be in the same position, lighting has to be the same, focus, shutter speed etc etc all the same, but without the toes in.

Even then this will only work if the background (ie the bit behind the toes) is static. If it had people in (for example), you'd need them to repeat exactly what they did before.

IF you have that, then you can superimpose one over the other and very laboriously draw around the toes to mask tyhem out - potentially drawing in each frame. And this only if you have Pro.

Obviously this is not at all practical. I'm just spelling out why.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm afraid the answer hasn't changed from when Andy answered it in the other thread.

Think about it logically.
    You have some toes in the frame.
    Take them out.
    What do you want to show where the toes were? Just black?
    If it was only that easy. She was standing on a grate.

That could be done quite easily (though laboriously) if you had Vegas Pro, using masking tools. It could also be done even more laboriously in Movie Studio by overlaying still images the shape of the toes.
    Guess I bought the wrong version.

But I'm guessing what you really want is whatever was behind the toes when you were filming.

Again, this could be done, very laboriously in Pro and extremely laboriously in Movie Studio.

Realistically to stand ANY chance of doing this you need the footage to have been shot on a ROCK SOLID camera. Then you need EXACTLY THE SAME SHOT - and I do mean exactly -the camera has to be in the same position, lighting has to be the same, focus, shutter speed etc etc all the same, but without the toes in.
    Not likely. She was using a hand-held camera. I will tell her to go ahead and reshoot that segment and we can splice it in.

IF you have that, then you can superimpose one over the other and very laboriously draw around the toes to mask tyhem out - potentially drawing in each frame. And this only if you have Pro.
    Again... looks like I got the wrong version!

Obviously this is not at all practical. I'm just spelling out why.
    And I really do appreciate the detailed explanation. I was up hours scouring the tubes for info.

Thanks again!
    Vince

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eAddict View Post

Again... looks like I got the wrong version!
    Just to clarify, Vince, the advantage to having Vegas pro for this particular application is that you would be able to "draw" irregular shapes and manipulate them frame by frame as opposed to having just a rectangle or creating the irregular shape(s) in another package and importing them.

The job would still be incredibly tiresome and would be unlikely to yield usable results in this instance.

Forgive me for pimping my own link, but the following was an experiment in using this very technique. I used masks (in Vegas 8 Pro) to "cut out" my daughter from one layer of video and superimpose onto another. I didn't do it particularly accurately as I was trying out the concept rather than going for quality (hence no attention paid at all to the original sound). Nevertheless it still took hours drawing around my daughter.

Tip: One of the things I learned was although the camera was locked down, I'd left the Electronic Image Stabalisation on, not realising that it would try to compensate whenever ANYTHING (in this case my daughter) moved in the scene. Consequently, if you watch the house in the background, you'll often see one side move in relation to the other. Makes me feel quite seasick.

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...our-elise.html
    Tim

to be fair I HAVE seen this done. Creating a background plate from a still frame using the perspective clone tool in Photoshop, then tracking the offending area in Mocha, and finally and compositing the lot together in After Effects.

Basic 2.5D Rig Removal : Adobe After Effects Tutorial

But a) it requires you to have AE CS4 (which has Mocha bundled) and Photoshop CS4,

and b) is pretty advanced compositing. I think you'd be better off reshooting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkOneMusic View Post
    to be fair I HAVE seen this done.
    I think I'll make a note of this post of yours, Mark, and direct everyone to it whenever the question comes up (as it frequenly does)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by MarkOneMusic View Post
    to be fair I HAVE seen this done. Creating a background plate from a still frame using the perspective clone tool in Photoshop, then tracking the offending area in Mocha, and finally and compositing the lot together in After Effects.

Basic 2.5D Rig Removal : Adobe After Effects Tutorial

But a) it requires you to have AE CS4 (which has Mocha bundled) and Photoshop CS4,

and b) is pretty advanced compositing. I think you'd be better off reshooting.
    Thanks for sharing! Looks great. Guess I better save my $$$ for some more tools if my daughter really gets in to this!

Vince