Thread: Some questions about Sony Vegas Movie Studio

Default Some questions about Sony Vegas Movie Studio

Hello-

I just bought my 1st camcorder- a Panasonic model that can create 1920x1080 AVCHD. My first kids are due in November (twins!) and I'm trying to figure out what software will be best for editing. I'm leaning towards Sony Vegas Movie Studio. I have a Core 2 Duo E8400 (3 GHz) w/ 4 GB of RAM. I plan to put 64 bit Windows 7 on it in October (right now it's 32 bit Vista.)

I tried Premiere Element 7, but the editing of AVCHD is really awful. I've read that Sony Vegas is much better (and that it's actually usable- unlike Adobe!) on a PC with the same specs as mine. I also just purchased my first Blu Ray burner. Some questions:

-What codec(s) can Vegas Movie Studio 9 burn to Blu Ray with? MPEG2/MPEG4-H.264/AVCHD ? The usability of the Panasonic software that came with my camcorder is awful- but it can write a proper Blu-ray disc with AVCHD so that it doesn't have to be rendered at all- and so the quality is the original "as shot" quality. I see that Sony can edit in AVCHD, but does it burn to Blu-ray in AVCHD, or does it render to another codec first?

-Does Vegas Movie Studio 9 work on 64 bit Windows?

-How often does Sony typically release new versions of Vegas Movie Studio? I see 9 came out in August 2008. Looks like 8 arrived in late summer 2007. Anyone heard whipsers of when 10 is to be released? I'd be happy to wait another couple of months to purchase if 10 is right around the corner... I hate buying software and then having a new version come out right after! I just want a few weeks to play with it before my kids come sometime in November...

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LrngToFly View Post
    Hello-

I just bought my 1st camcorder- a Panasonic model that can create 1920x1080 AVCHD. My first kids are due in November (twins!) and I'm trying to figure out what software will be best for editing.
    That's easy - whatever the person who edits the video prefers - it certainly won't be you as you won't have the time

But to answer the other simple versions first. Vegas Movie Studio is not supported on 64bit. (Vegas Pro has a 32 and a 64 bit version and you're entitled to use both - but only one at a time).

Windows 7 isn't supported by anything anywhere so please don't assume ANYTHING will work (But I guess you know that)

Dunno about Blu-Ray, I'm a luddite (or, more accurately, just don;t have the funds to go HD yet)

Really we shouldn't care about what version has just been released. The Pro version didn't go to V9 until May this year. We should only consider upgrading if we need the new facilities. (I wish I could stick to these principles - I upgraded Pro even though realy I didn't need to)

But yes, they tend to produce a new vesrion on an annual basis.

One thing I will say though. There isn't generally a NEED to upgrade just to fix old bugs. Many people still run version 4 and 5 and they still get a reasonable amount of support on these forums.

EDIT: And you do realise you can get a 30 day free trial (and it's beter than the Adobe one as it's fully working with no watermarks)

PS Congratulations.
    Tim

Thanks for the congrats!

So there's both a 32 bit and 64 bit version of the Pro Vegas and only a 32 bit version of the consumer Media Studio. But does anyone know if the 32 bit version of Media Studio works on 64 Windows? As long as no low level 32 bit drivers are used, 32 bit software works on 64 bit Windows... It sounds like MS and the OEMs (Dell, HP etc.) are really going to push 64 bit iterations of Windows when Windows 7 arrives. I think I've read that even in the last year, 64 bit Windows has been the predominant version of Vista for consumer PCs (not so for PCs being shipped to busineeses.) Software vendors need to make sure their products work on 64 bit Windows soon- even if the software itself is only 32 bit.

I know most don't care about having the latest and greatest- and upgrading to every new version. I probably won't upgrade whatever I buy either. What I'm thinking about doing though is holding off my initial purchase until August or September in case version 10 of the consumer Media Studio arrives on it's usual late summer schedule... Right now I'm just playing with my camcorder, taking video of nieces and nephews at ballgames etc.- not really planning on making any home movies. So I can wait a few months to purchase decent video editing software...

I'll download the trial and give it a test. I have a spare PC at work that has 64 bit Windows 7 RC (a beta) on it- I can even load it there! Thanks!
    Last edited by LrngToFly; 06-22-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Looks like the 32 bit Vegas Movie Studio 9.0b loads fine in 64 bit Win7. I don't have my camcorder at work so I don't have a clip to "play" with- I'll put a clip on a thumb drive and will try doing some editing tomorrow. Too bad I don't have my Blu ray burner here!

I installed the trials of DVD Architect Pro 5.0 (comes with Vegas Pro 9) and DVD Architect Studio 4.5 (comes with Vegas Media Studio and looks like Pro 5.0 can create AVCHD Blu rays (on top of MPEG2), but that Studio 4.5 can only do MPEG2 based Blu rays. I hope that DVD Architect Studio 5.0 that comes with the next Vegas Media Studio also is able to write AVC content to Blu rays!

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting. I'm sure many of us will be intriged to learn how well VMS (and indeed Pro) copes on Windows 7.

As an aside, when you get hooked on Vegas and decide to upgrade to Pro, you may spot an oddity in Sony's pricing structure. It's actually cheaper (by about 100) to buy VMS and then upgarde to Pro! (Or at least it was a few weeks ago when I last checked)
    Tim

I tried Premiere Element 7, but the editing of AVCHD is really awful. I've read that Sony Vegas is much better (and that it's actually usable- unlike Adobe!) on a PC with the same specs as mine.

Like Tim I haven't gone HD yet either. However, it's worth pointing out that a lot of Vegas users transcode AVCHD to intermediary codecs for editing purposes because the preview/editing cycle can be quite painful - stuttering playback, crashes etc.

Thanks for your reply.

I did load Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 trial on a 64 bit Windows 7 RC1 PC at work and brought in a 10 minute clip to play with. The editing window definitely drops frames when editing in the original ACVHD materal- however it does it in a relatively "smooth" fashion when compared to Adobe Premiere Elements 7. So I actually find it usable. The audio in Adobe PE7 stutters too- and the amount of stuttering is constantly changing. The dropped frames in Vegas is consistant- and so I find it more usable. Also, the audio does not stutter at all in Vegas.

The good news is that 32 bit Vegas MS9 works just fine on 64 bit Windows.

But yes, I agree- I need to experiment with rendering to an intermediate codec first, and if I do that I assume either product will work fine for me.

Thanks!
    Last edited by LrngToFly; 06-25-2009 at 01:43 PM.