Thread: Sony Vegas 8 Pro - Rendering Nightmare

1. Unhappy Sony Vegas 8 Pro - Rendering Nightmare

I am still having problems with shimmering after rendering with Vegas 8.
    Yesterday as an experiment I imported some old music video footage into MPEG Video Wizard, the ripped .vob files I then rendered (without any editing whatsoever).
    The output files as always were PAL 720 x 576 mpeg 2.
    The files I then burnt to DVD using the ever reliable Ulead Workshop 2.
    There was no re-rendering and the DVD was produced in a matter of minutes with perfect results.

Today the same experiment using Vegas 8 Pro, I imported a music video (using Vegas to 'rip' from the DVD).
    I did no editing whatsoever and I rendered the file into PAL 720 x 576 mpeg 2.
    I burnt the video file (again using Ulead Workshop 2), the result was the video shimmering.

I did a full computer re-installation before trying the experiment using Vegas because I thought some other software may be in conflict however that is not the case.

I also smelt a rat when Vegas was rendering I thought the 'No need to render' prompt would appear in the preview window, but it didn't.

I am aware of interlacing and progressive scan in video footage and the problem is (probably) something to do with this.
    How would I know if the imported video when interlaced is 'upper field first' or 'bottom field first' anyway surely by default Vegas would import the file in it's correct format.

It's apparent that I have got a setting wrong somewhere in Vegas, could someone advise me which setting needs looking at.

Clicking on the screen shots below will show my setting.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-6/1341943/1.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-...43/fig%201.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-...43/fig%202.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-...43/fig%203.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-...43/fig%204.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-...43/fig%205.JPG
    Last edited by nic6; 06-22-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Blog Entries

I notice on your project properties, you have "Full Resolution Rendering Quality" set to good. I always use Best. May be worth a try??
    (Recent discussion here with Grazie - he always uses Good and says it far quicker and there's no perceptable difference in quality so I'm really interested in what happens here)
    Tim

3. Angry

I did as before this time rendering on the 'Best' quality setting and with the 'reduce flicker' option, it is slightly better but still poor when compared to Mpeg Video Wizard (which I should add costs just 40).
    Software that gives a better end result than software costing over 500.
    Obviously the editing options on Mpeg Video Wizard are far less sophisticated compared with Vegas but it's the end result that counts.
    I am playing back the files on DVD through a 1994 32" Sony CRT television (4:3) not that it should make any difference.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-...43/fig%206.JPG
    Last edited by nic6; 06-22-2009 at 06:16 PM.

I always render to a different physical drive. Don't have any issues with 'pauses' our glithces since I started doing that.

HTH,
    Vince

I also smelt a rat when Vegas was rendering I thought the 'No need to render' prompt would appear in the preview window, but it didn't.

Getting "No recompression required" for MPEG2 entails ensuring that your output template closely matches your source footage - including field order.

How would I know if the imported video when interlaced is 'upper field first' or 'bottom field first' anyway surely by default Vegas would import the file in it's correct format.

You can right-click on the file and check its properties on the media tab. Vegas will almost certainly have imported it in the correct format but you may not be rendering it correctly. Also it's worth ensuring that your project properties match the source footage as well - use the Match Media button on Project Properties.

I had massive trouble with smart rendering MPEG2 when first moving from MediaStudio to Vegas Pro and this is the post that solved it for me:

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

Shimmering is usually caused by field order check lower field is first

7. Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Shimmering is usually caused by field order check lower field is first
    Very true but when a video clip is imported into Vegas the field order will be the same as the source, it won't change.
    Rendering Mpeg 2 using Video Wizard produces far superior results than using Vegas.
    I only use Vegas for time stretching the audio, obviously I have to use the video to sync up the audio then I render.
    The rendered file I import into Mpeg Video Wizard and use just the AUDIO track, I don't use the video because of the inferior quality.
    Incidently I matched the output template to my original source footage and even though the file went straight through with the ''No need to render' prompt there was still shimmering and the quality was poor in comparison to Mpeg Video Wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by nic6 View Post
    I only use Vegas for time stretching the audio, obviously I have to use the video to sync up the audio then I render.
    When you came across the "shimmering" was this ALSO using Vegas to time stretch?

Do us all a favour, just import and render and burn using Vegas throughout - no time stretch.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    When you came across the "shimmering" was this ALSO using Vegas to time stretch?

Do us all a favour, just import and render and burn using Vegas throughout - no time stretch.
    I have imported a file and rendered it to Mpeg 2 without any editing (see my other recent post) and still the shimmering.
    I have come to the conclusion that Vegas Pro and Mpeg 2 go together like oil and water.