Thread: Zoom feature when editing?

Default Zoom feature when editing?

I'm hoping someone knowledgable out there might be able to help me!

I am trying to identify PC software with some special capabilities. I video my son's boxing matches. Unfortunately, the conditions are usually less than ideal. I rarely have the luxury of a decent location, so I sometimes have make do with setting the camera up on a tripod, point it at the ring and let the tape roll. But this means that very often, the action only occupies a small part of the screen.

Having captured the footage to the PC, I would like to be able to zoom in to a portion of the screen to magnify the area of interest, so that the action fills the screen to a greater extent.

I am using an analogue camera, btw and transfer it to the PC using a Pinnacle capture card and Pinnacle Studio 8/9.

Does anyone know of a product which allows this?

Thanks in advance!

Strutty

Blog Entries

Pretty much any Non Linear Editing (NLE) package will do this, but with an obvious reduction in quality. It's just a matter of combining a zoom or resize effect with a move or pan effect.

Can't you just leave it zoomed in on the action while the camera is set up on the tripod?

Like Marc says, you will get a reduction in quality doing it through software (the more you magnify the more the reduction).
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid