Thread: CS4 Premiere, After Affects quesitons.

Question CS4 Premiere, After Affects quesitons.

I am trying to put a parts list together for a PC build and am trying to find out some stuff about Adobe CS4 Premiere and After Affects.

1st...How much RAM will Premiere and After Affects actually use?

2nd...How many processer cores will Premiere and After Affects use.

I really do not have any idea how these programs will use SMP or RAM and would like to build the machine to specifically use these programs.

Any advice concerning what these 2 programs hardware usage is addressed would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Hookem; 06-21-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: tyop

As far as i know, Premiere and After Effects are 32bit applications BUT they have a "sub" program that opens up multiple times allow premiere/after effects to get access to more than 4gb. Yes i know, confusing,

so in answer to question 1, It will use as much ram as it needs, just because you 6 gb of ram, it doesn't mean it will use all of it, if your project only requires lets say 4gb, you will have 2 gb free. In theory, you could have up to 16.8 million terabytes but this isn't physically possibe due to building restriction, kindof obvious. You can probably get 32gb on a server board if you look hard enough.

I'm not 100% sure on this. i belive that it will use all the cores you throw at it.

Thank you for the reply...Really having trouble putting together a parts list.

Get conflicting information about every piece.

Do you have any opinion on i7 Intel processors versus the Socket 775.

I have chosen the i7 920 Quad Core processor hoping that it will better address some of the CS4's features.

Man this parts list is driving me crazy.

Thanks again for the reply.

Well i would suggest that if your on a tight budget, stick with the 2nd to latest technology, so core 2 quad otherwise go for an 17 920. i suggest about 4gb of ram or 6 for an i7, and unless you are dealing with uncompressed hd, raid 0 isn't needed.

After Effects can use all of the cores on an 8-core machine, as long as you feed each with enough RAM. I've got some numbers and links in this blog post about using After Effects on a 64-bit OS.

Don't ignore the hard drives, BTW. All video applications work best if you've got separate drives for source footage, running the application, and writing output files. Your performance can plummet if your computer is fighting over the same disk drive for its inputs and outputs.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
    After Effects Help and Support
    Premiere Pro Help and Support
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply's...I really am torn right now about what platform to use.

Seems AMD, ATI and Adobe have been working together.

AMD ATI Stream Technology Accelerates Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 Workflows

Wanted to use i7 Intel because most good motherboards will support 12 to 24 gigs of RAM...24 is out of the question because of the sky high price of 4gig DDR3 modules...12 using 2gig modules is the plan...Here is a link about all that business.

Adobe After Effects CS4 * Memory & Multiprocessing preferences

So now I am considering AMD Phenom II X4 with 8gig's of ram, versus the i7 920...Both are Quad Core processors...Just do not know if the Intel/nVidia combintation will be faster at rendering with Premiere and After Affects because it will be able to use 4gb of ram more than the 8gigs in an AMD, ATI rig that uses the Premiere plug in.

Adobe After Effects CS4 * Memory & Multiprocessing preferences

I usually only build high end gaming machines but a friend is asking me to build him a machine designed for Premiere and After Effects for CS4...Think he told me he paid 1500 for the Master Suite and his machine tells him it will take 36 hours to render a 2 minute piece of video.

Kinda out of my element on this box...LOL...Certainly learning a whole new ball game that is for sure.

Geezzz....Had Intel/nVidia in the mix...Now AMD/ATI are turning my parts list upside down.

Seems the only thing for sure is OCZ Vertex Solid State hard drives.

Thanks again for the help guys.
    Last edited by Hookem; 06-23-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: tyop

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    Well i would suggest that if your on a tight budget, stick with the 2nd to latest technology, so core 2 quad otherwise go for an 17 920. i suggest about 4gb of ram or 6 for an i7, and unless you are dealing with uncompressed hd, raid 0 isn't needed.

Whats RAID 0 ?

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsfx View Post
    Whats RAID 0 ?
    RAID-0 in my paticular application is taking 2 hard drives and striping them...2 250gig Segates will make a single 500gig hard drive that is way faster than single drives...Big draw back to RAID-0 is if one drive fails you will loose all data...There are many flavors of RAID...RAID-0+1 will give you the speed plus keep your data incase a drive fails.

I have run RAID for many years without having a drive fail...But buyer beware...I just usually have a drive outside of an array that I store all my data on.

Here is what wiki has to say.

RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia