Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some advice on quality headphones

Default Some advice on quality headphones

I would appreciate some advice on quality headphones for use by a wedding videographer. A set good enough to keep ambient sound out completely (if that exists). Would I get a set for around 100? There may be a number out there, but you can't beat experience so I thought I would ask you all. Many thanks, John

For information to others to share my experience: I had a recent traumatic case of no sound on the tape for part of a wedding service - the important bit(barely audible) - I had obviously caught the rotary volume wheel on exchanging from monopod to tripod - my headphones had become unplugged and I had not noticed - first time it has ever happened - I was off colour that day but I will never forget it and it will never happen again. Fortunately I was able to use my sound software to up the sound to maximum x 3 with no loss of quality. Phew!!

Beyer Dynamic DT100s provide a good level of isolation (and are widely used in studios for talent whilst tracking - Also used quite widely for ENG/Field work too)

Beyerdynamic DT 100 Studio Headphones - Grey 400 Ohm

DT150s: Beyerdynamic DT 150 Dynamic Studio Headphones with Cable - 250 Ohm are also very good, and probably something of an industry standard (well, in recording studios anyway.

These: Direct Sound EX-25 Extreme Sound Isolation Headphones might do the trick, but I have no experience of them... But given they're called 'Extreme Isolation' one might expect them to work quite well in that situation

Default Headphone Advice

Many thanks MarkOneMusic - three to add to the research list. John

Blog Entries

I have two sets of cans, both of which I can recommend.

A pair of Beyerdynamic DT250 headphones which are very similar to those recommended by Markonemusic but I find them more comfortable!

Sennheiser HD 25-1 cans which aren't as comfortable as the Beyers but block out a lot more of the ambient sound. Ideal for a wedding.

Both of the above (and the DT100 and DT150) are excellent headphones, accurate and reject ambient noise well.

know how you feel ,had a friend come back from a wedding with no audio due to the jack socket being faulty and he was not monitoring, back in the Panasonic MS4 days.

i just use a pair of in ear phones with the audio set so i can hear there something there but not to interested in the quality as I know what my mic sound like, I do keep an eye on the audio levels on the viewfinder to double check. If the plug comes out then the audio in the ears cease and it is very obvious the headphones are disconnected. This obviously does not work in a disco area well but the volume is sufficient to tell me audio is there and the VU's back be up.

have been looking for a small FM TX unit so I can dispense with the lead as it is either to long or to short, plus the nightmare of putting the camera down and then walking of with the earphones connected, yanking the camera.

Many thanks Guru, Another two to add to my list - I'm very grateful - there's nothing worse than buying something, then finding out it isn't what you wanted. Thanks again, John

Hi Cheema, Makes me laugh when you list the things that went wrong - I've done everything you mention including nearly strangling myself when walking away from the tripod and nearly losing the camcorder behind me when the plug didn't come out. We should have a column on mishaps - Mind you, no one would hire us. Ha! Ha!

jimmy11 Guest

Sennheiser

audio technica ath 40 - i think

Sony Product Detail Page - MDR7506

I bought a pair of these after a lot of research and have used them on several jobs. I got mine for 90 on amazon. Very happy with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast