Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reading m2ts files

Default reading m2ts files

So, the superdrive on the mac mini broke, and i got sick of apple when the 3rd party drive wouldnt work with iDVD. So I signed up to buildyourownpc.org and built myself a nice new monster machine. Alas, after shelling out on Vista Home Premium, WindowsMovieMaker refuses to believe that my sony hdr ux3 is plugged in, even though i get bing bong noises when i turn it off and on.
    No fear I thought, i can stick the dinky little disks in and read the m2ts files it makes directly. Er, no, of course. Microsoft dont consider sony a big enough company to be worth making themselves compatible with.
    I tried various trial versions of m2ts converion software and those were bad to awful. So I now realise I need to buy sony vegas. Surely movie studio platinum 9 for about 50 quid will just import all these files that I've coppied onto my disk, and probably do a better job of the editing than windows anyway, and I can use windows dvd maker to burn the dvd, is that right folks ?. Can I save 20 quid and get version 8 and still be in business ?. All I need is slap bang wallop home movie production facilities, so if version 8 will still eat the m2ts files and output good stuff for windows I can get that for 30 quid.

Thanks in advance for any wise words.
    Last edited by mc_lester; 06-20-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Not a lot of interest in this, I guess it's a fairly obvious yes. If the answer was "no" I suppose somebody would have told me by now. Reading some of the other threads it's probably wise to stump up the full 50 quid for v.9.

3. Default

Hi,

Windows movie maker is a joke actually. And are you trying to open m2t files in Moviemaker ? LOL. Unless i got you wrong. But that is impossible. m2t files are mpeg 2 transport streams there are some softwares out there, some free, which would convert them into avi's etc. But im sure any sony media software will handle it. The movie studio vers lacks many of the features that the pro/full versions have.

I would suggest getting ver 7 if you can. Ver 8 is reported to be very unstable, in fact it won an emmy for instability. lol, jus kidding but close to the truth. Try to see if you can get an old version. 6 or 7. They are mostly stable. The rock solid version was 5. And after that Sony took it over and like a bunch of school kids messed the whole thing up. If sonic foundry still owned vages it would have been much better for all of us.

Sony wants to monopolize it into being a software which is completely SONY oriented. Only their codecs and their mxfs will work etc. They want every one who uses their products to buy more of their products to use the products they bought in the first place. . Good luck.

thanks. i just spotted the related threads list at the bottom . 9 obviously does the trick, and there's also some stuff called SUPER which I am trying to get. Reading your comments about sony's proprietorial behaviour, perhaps i've been a bit harsh on big bad bill and his mates, sony are quite happy for moviemaker to be crap.
    I'll stay clear of 8 then, not sure I'm going to be able to fetch an antique copy but I'll have a gander.
    thanks again.

edit:-
    couldnt work how to get SUPER , I did get avs4you which did a much better job than the other conversion utils I got, but they want 40 bucks to remove the watermark, so it's hardly a deal. I found a copy of 9 with a damaged box on amazon for 46.51 inc p&p which at this stage in the proceedings is a steal.

Last edited by mc_lester; 06-21-2009 at 08:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plainman007 View Post
    Hi,
    Sony wants to monopolize it into being a software which is completely SONY oriented. Only their codecs and their mxfs will work etc. They want every one who uses their products to buy more of their products to use the products they bought in the first place. . Good luck.
    By all means post your opinions. But please don't post such as fact unless you know it to be fact and can post sources supporting this asseertion.

Just one FACT which contradicts your statement above (and thus throws all your assertions into question) is that when Sony Creative Software (which is a totally different division to that which produces consumer camcorders) first included support for AVCHD it worked with the Panasonic flavour of AVCHD but NOT the Sony one.

And from the other direction, Sony laptop computers were being demonstarted with (and bundled with) Adobe Premiere Elements with no sign of Vegas at all.

Of course they want you to buy other Sony product, but they also know that to attract people you have to go where the market is.
    Tim

6. Default

Hi Tim,

I was just posting my opinion only. I am by no means an expert. Not at all. Please feel free to form your opinion about the product. Im a devout user of Vegas. Theres nothing better ive found for editing HDV. But you can probably google for some other forums and check that most senior people in the editing arena who use vegas are worried about the decline of the products format agnostic tendency. But again this is from what ive read. I didnt say or endorse that it was a highly researched fact etc. Im sure i assumed i was just stating MY experience.

PS : would you care to post some sources/links where its endorsed that sony gave their laptops with premiere loaded on. All their systems now come with vegas or nothing for that matter i think. Im just curious to see and qoute to my other friends in this industry that this is a fact.

Regards
    Last edited by plainman007; 06-21-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Somewhat old, admittedly: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/perfect...-premiere.html

There was a much more recent thread (a year or so ago) about it. Not factual enough I know. I'll search later....

EDIT:

Jan 2008: Look under "software"

As usual Sony has bundled a lot of software with the AR51E including Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Premiere Elements and VAIO Camera Capture ...

Sony VAIO AR51E - Core 2 Duo T7250 2 GHz - 17" TFT : Read product information and read reviews

And again - this review of a Vaio Desktop:
    Sony Vaio VA1 Desktop PC | 20″ LCD Screen, Intel Pentium D Core 2 Duo Processor
    Last edited by TimStannard; 06-21-2009 at 09:10 PM.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plainman007 View Post

But you can probably google for some other forums and check that most senior people in the editing arena who use vegas are worried about the decline of the products format agnostic tendency.
    I think there is some truth in this, though I'd venture to suggest that it's not so much Vegas as become less format agnostic (it still copes admirably with all the formats it used to, after all) but it has not added new formats to its repertoire as quickly as maybe some competitors.

I don't know that this is necessarily bad if it's the case that they're not rushing to market support for X,Y, and Z if it's not been properly tested. (They were particularly cautious not to rush-release a BluRay version of DVDA for example)

My issue wasn't so much that though. My issue was your suggestion that they were moving towards supporting Sony product only. There's no evidence I've seen to suggest that is the case and whilst it might be possible for a big player like Avid or FCP to try playing that game (if Avid or FCP made camcorders, that is), for the small player like Sony, it would be commercial suicide.

Hope you find the links above interesting: I simply Googled "Sony Vaio bundles with Premiere Elements"

Cheers!
    Tim

9. Default

I THINK the current version supports blueray authoring, right from the timeline. Vegas 9.0 Pro has this.

I again dont want to point to moderators of quite prominent sites etc. But im pretty sure ive heard heard from all these reliable people about sony's monopoly path and how they are converting Vegas to support more of sony this and sony that. But then we could go on all night against each others word. Also the product became very buggy after ver 5.0, which was know to be crash proof.

You acually mean AVID and APPLE are bigger corporate giants than SONY as a corporate group ?

Quote Originally Posted by mc_lester View Post
    So, the superdrive on the mac mini broke, and i got sick of apple when the 3rd party drive wouldnt work with iDVD. So I signed up to buildyourownpc.org and built myself a nice new monster machine. Alas, after shelling out on Vista Home Premium, WindowsMovieMaker refuses to believe that my sony hdr ux3 is plugged in, even though i get bing bong noises when i turn it off and on.
    No fear I thought, i can stick the dinky little disks in and read the m2ts files it makes directly. Er, no, of course. Microsoft dont consider sony a big enough company to be worth making themselves compatible with.
    I tried various trial versions of m2ts converion software and those were bad to awful. So I now realise I need to buy sony vegas. Surely movie studio platinum 9 for about 50 quid will just import all these files that I've coppied onto my disk, and probably do a better job of the editing than windows anyway, and I can use windows dvd maker to burn the dvd, is that right folks ?. Can I save 20 quid and get version 8 and still be in business ?. All I need is slap bang wallop home movie production facilities, so if version 8 will still eat the m2ts files and output good stuff for windows I can get that for 30 quid.

Thanks in advance for any wise words.
    Hi MC you didn't say if the camera came up in "My Computer" is it just that Windows movie maker doesn't work, I always copy and paste my MTS files over from my camera, I'm not familiar with Vegas I did try some trials but went to Corel ProX2 in the end, it handled my HF10 files without any problems, I think when I tried Vegas it was when they were limiting there consumer software to AVCHD main profile 4.0 and my camera uses AVCHD high profile 4.1 so had some problems working with it, I have been told on Vimeo's forum that it's not an issue now, but would be worth checking, not worth buying a program and finding if you change your camera, the program wont work.
    Bryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast