Thread: .sfl files appearing next to every Mpeg/M2t rendered file !

1. Default .sfl files appearing next to every Mpeg/M2t rendered file !

Every time i render an mpeg or an m2t file from the timeline the rendered file lands up with another .slf file accompanying it. I do understand that temp sound wave files are created with every imported footage. But this is happening with every exported/rendered file. Its very confusing when rendering a series of files. Can this be stopped.

I suspect there is a function in vegas which enables all rendered files to also be automatically reimported or become a part of the main project. I dont remember where i read that as it was a long while ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by plainman007; 06-20-2009 at 11:14 AM.

This is one of the things that really annoyed me when I moved from MSP to Vegas.
    Open a file with MSP, and the wave form is instantly there. Open it with Vegas, and it has to "build wave form" first. If it's a lengthy clip, it can take a few minutes. Basically, those files store that info, so the next time you open it, it doesn't have to "build wave form". If you get rid of them, you're back to square one.

Question: How does MSP manage to open a file instantly if Vegas can't?

3. Default

Yes i feel the same. Very ridiculous and pathetic for a software of its stature. It definitely needs to create its TEMPORARY files right next to your footage files. As if we need some more of a challenge to out media management. Its uttery stupid. They could have at least ensured the files it creates were not visible or created in the applications temp directory. And like yu said when i import a hr long file it takes nearly 2 minutes or so to create the waveform. And now the worst part is it making the temp files even for the video i just rendered out. Just imagine....i render finalproduct.avi and right next to it is finalproduct.sfl, compliments of sony media. Its so irritating and just deleting them feels like id get repetitive stress injury.

I guess its just ineffecient programming. I wonder how these companies make a product. Expect you to buy it. And then pay them to clear out the bugs by charging us a support fee for it.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

OK. Firstly there's some confusion. Secondly there's some logic for where Vegas places the files.

.sfl files contain the marker and region information. If you don't want to save that then simply uncheck the "save project markers in media file" option when rendering.

The peak files, are .sfk files. As the file extension suggests, they come from Sound Forge - Sony's sound editing program. I can only guess that they take a while to create because they contain a lot more info or are calculated in a more compicated manner than the equivalents in some other NLEs. They have also increased from 8-bit to 16-bit in Vegas Pro 9 which can only add to the time it takes to calculate. Whether we need this accuracy or not is moot and I agree it can be frustrating waiting for them to build. (I seem to recall I read there was an option to choose the resolution, but I can't find any trace of it now)

As for where the files reside - is it bad design? Is it inefficient programming? I think not.

YOU may prefer the .sfk supporting files to be stored in another folder. Others may not.
    To my mind keeping the .sfk with the file you've just imported into Vegas makes perfect sense -
    If you perform your housekeeping using Windows Explorer, you would want to see the .sfk alongside the source file. That way it's MUCH easier to ensure that when you delete or move a source file, the associated .sfk gets deleted or moved with it.

You may see things differently. I'm simply arguing that just because it doesn't work the way YOU would like, it doesn't mean the design hasn't been thought through.

As for hiding files: The .sfk/.sfl files ARE hidden in the Vegas Explorer. They are visible in Windows explorer - but that's absolutely right - I wouldn't want any application I installed overriding what I can and can't see in Windows Explorer.

One weakness I would suggest is that IF Vegas Explorer hides the supporting files, it should delete them/move them with the source file - which it doesn't.

The comment about bugs is plain silly. A big is something that doesn't work in the way it was planned and NOT something which doesn't work the way YOU might expect it to.

Message to self: Make that appointment with the opticians. You're correct of course Tim.

Theo options for the 8 bit I think is in properties, there is also the option not to build those files unless the media is used on the timeline.

The sfk is used by DVD to put the markers in as chapters, there is a script that allows you just to output the sfk (from Vegas) file if add or change any chapters.