Thread: Sony Webbie HD?

Default Sony Webbie HD?

I need a fairly affordable "entry-level" camcorder just to shoot videos for the purpose of editing (essentially to practice editing so I can get familiar with Sony Vegas Movie Studio, which I plan to buy), and then eventually to be used for specifically purposed videos..

So basically, I'm not doing any professional work just yet, but do want good video quality, and a functional camcorder, but do want to keep a modest budget. is the Sony Webbie HD good for these causes?

The Webbie is ok for near instant capture in fun environments and delivers up to 1440x1080/30p. It has no steady shot and no eyelevel viewfinder so you'll find it difficult to get smooth. steady footage. If you intend to embark on video making you might like to try something just a little more sophisticated, at least with steady shot included.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by harleyriv View Post
    ...If you intend to embark on video making you might like to try something just a little more sophisticated.
    That I would agree with.
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyriv View Post
    ...at least with steady shot included.
    But that I wouldn't. Steadyshot can be a terrible function. Because of the way it smooths out the video, so much definition can be lost. Much better to buy a decent tripod or support. If your videomaking progresses at all, you'll be buying one anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticsushi View Post
    ..but do want to keep a modest budget..
    What would you consider 'modest'?
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 06-20-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Just did a quick look at the Sony Webbie, it should be alright for uploading to the likes of Youtube but don't expect impressive results on a high definition tv. Poor low light results, hit and miss audio, not great digital stills and a low res lcd screen might put a lot of potential users off purchasing it. Strangely enough the Flip Mino is regarded as being better.

Well, I do intend to starting out only have the videos for playback on my own computer, and to upload to youtube, so the TV issue wouldn't be too big a deal.

And by modest budget I mean I probably don't want to go over 400 dollars.

Also, as far as the Flip Mino goes, why is that preferable to the Flip UltraHD (the Ultra has twice the memory, and I can't seem to find a difference in their specs in favor of the Mino)?

[QUOTE=Andy Lockwood;116536]

.....Steadyshot can be a terrible function. Because of the way it smooths out the video, so much definition can be lost.. ....

QUOTE] Don't know where you get that idea from Andy - a good steady shot will be optical and this has no bearing whatsoever on the way the pixels are captured . I suggested steady shot because the type of camera being suggested was small and difficult to control smoothly - I suggest Steady Shot.