Thread: Skiing Video

Default Skiing Video

Was just wanting to share the 2nd video I've ever edited. It is of a vactation I took with my brother earlier this month.

Please let me know your thoughts.

www.globalwidesports.com/colorado

Some of the photography was quite nice.

But for me at over 5 minutes the movie was too long.

The title music, 'Living on the Edge' was good too, yet the movie didn't quite convey the message of living on the edge. I think the editing could have been a lot sharper. For example try editing to the beat of the music, and choose your shots to suit that lyric. Be ruthless with your cutting, some shots were simply too long.

But hey, I am not being too critical, the vacation looked like great fun, and as I say some of the footage was very good.

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Hey,

I would have to agree with "purejammy," some clips were way to long. The music you selected was great but try and have clips change with the beat of the music, or put maybe a effect in on some parts of the song.

Some of the footage you got was amazing, looks like you had a fun time. I am going to be making a Snowboarding video this winter, and this video gave me a few idea's with what i may want to do with it.

All in all it was a good video.

PEaaaaaaace.
    - Bill

Thanks for the constructive feedback.

I realize that I could have had more scenes change to the beat of the music, but this was only my second attempt at editing a video and my first attempt using Premiere Pro. I haven't quite figured out an easy way to line everything up. I can do it, but it's very time consuming...perhaps there is an easier way.

Thanks again

Oh mate. I sooooo love skiing that I just had to watch this video.

I agree with a lot of the comments made so far but would just like to add a couple of my own based on my experiences of shooting video in the snow.

- filming against the snow always presents contrast difficulties. I have learnt that it is best to expose for the subjects, which means over exposing for the snow (or use your camera's backlight feature if it has one). This way people are not sillhoutted and all the colours are vibrant. Apply some ND filters too.

- you have probably heard mention of the "rule of thirds" when filming or taking photos. With ski videos this is so important, especially as the a lot of the picture will be white (the sky is often white as well).

Here's a forum dedicated purely to people who film in snow conditions:

http://www.anti-robot.com/cgi-bin/ik...ms.cgi?forum=1
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid