Thread: How does Vegas hold up when producing feature length films?

Default How does Vegas hold up when producing feature length films?

I'm working with a production company, and we're trying to explore ways of reducing production costs to be able to produce more films at once. Specifically, we're looking at approximately 6-7 feature length films in production at any one time, with a budget of possibly $300k each. Obviously efficient post-production plays a large role in that, so I'm looking for an editor's perspective on what's best for trimming the budget. We produce mostly smaller, indie-type films that focus on character and story instead of action and effects. With that in mind, how does Sony Vegas stand up as cheaper alternatives when producing full-length films? If there's advice I could get from anyone with any experience on this matter it would be greatly appreciated, since we're trying to figure out how to get the most cheapest and most efficient possible setup. Thanks!

Vegas like any other NLE is as good as the editor using it. Vegas in my opion is just as good as premier, avid or fcp.. The tools are there, the look and setup is diferant. But in the end its what you do with it and your skills that make the diferance. With good skills you'll never be able to say. "that movie was edited on vegas" or "oh that guy used fcp" So down load the trial and see if the set up is one you like because thats what it comes down to.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

3. Default

I have worked on 90 minute long videos on 1280x720 UNCOMPRESSED videos on the timeline and havent faced any serious problems. It has its own small quirks but its all a matter of personal taste. Like for example sometimes Project files will just get corrupted out of the blue during a save. Which is why i nowadays have to save as 2 different projects for every save i do.

Like Chapman said...its a matter of personal preference and what you can do with it that counts. There have been people making some amazing videos in Vegas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plainman007 View Post
    Like for example sometimes Project files will just get corrupted out of the blue during a save. Which is why i nowadays have to save as 2 different projects for every save i do.
    I can highly recommend Edward Troxel's "Excaliber" a collection of scripts, one of which is AutoSave (autosaves different versions every "x" minutes). Very useful.
    Tim