Thread: after effects to premiere lower 3rds template - like motion to FCP

1. Default after effects to premiere lower 3rds template - like motion to FCP

ok doki.... i have been using FCP for my latest edit and its very good on some things and quite annoying on others, but i am a premiere guy at heart and cant seem to fully get FCP - i have only been using it for the last week. anyhow.... i have been doing some lower 3rds using motion and FCP making a template and then using that within FCP and changing the text there - which is very time saving!!!

just wondering if this can be done using after effects and premiere? im not sure it can but i would be a great and useful feature

cheers

2. Default

i take it from the lack of response this cannot be done?

I might be possible.

Can you please elaborate a bit more on your question. It's a bit vague for me as i've never use FCP and i don't intend to :P

4. Default

i will try explain as simply as i can.

motion is apples version of after effects, within motion you can create a lower 3rds animation incorporating text and then save this as a template to be used in FCP.

final cut pro (FCP) - apples premiere can take the motion template and you can then edit each text area, making multiple instances of the same lower 3rds with different info such as name changes, etc.

to my knowledge after effects and premiere dont offer this function but as apple do i thought adobe may have tried competing and i just didnt know about it.

5. Default

i remember a time when people helped out on this forum!

you've changed!!!

Sorry. i HAve Masses of Media Studies Corsework to do.

To Be Honest, i still don't know what it is. maybe it isn't possible.

As a template? AE to PP? Why as a template and not a transparent clip? Assuming it is a motion L3. You probably have worked this out by now. I have been working on web building skills and no longer can use the University edit suites this term so my editing is rusty.

FCP editing sharpens PP skills I have found. Different but both good.

In my motion graphics classes we learned to build frames in Photoshop the import to PP or AE to add the motion. the export as usable clips. Keeping the .PSD file for quick changes for sports graphics etc via Bridge.

To take a slightly different slant on this subject that might actually help.

If these are static lower thirds and you need to produce multiple versions with different text on them then you only need create one. I would need to dig out the details but I have successfully created a template for Photshop and parameterised the text. You can then throw a csv file at a photoshop procedure and it will create them all for you and preserve all the styling - just replacing the text in each one with what's in the file. Really cool.

I havenlt gone looking but now Ps CS4 does video it may also work with animated lower thirds too. Must try it sometime.