Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camcorder for 200 - 250? (Any recommendations?)

Question Camcorder for 200 - 250? (Any recommendations?)

My dad emailed me with links to camcorders and is asking me to pick him a good one. I am not sure what to recommend as I know next to nothing about camcorders and don't want to spend my time researching them either. We live in the UK

Can someone who understands camcorders link to me a few good one for around 200? I would imagine one with a large build in hard drive, or slots for Expandable Memory Cards would be important. Also it must be modern and digital and support a good resoluton. I can't imagine it would be used for anything other than general family use, day trips, holiday etc. Please can I hear recommendations?
    Last edited by deadman_uk; 06-21-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Looks like I'm going to have to recommend my dad a camcorder with very little to go by. I was really hoping for some suggestions from people who are experienced in this area.

Well you said you don't want to waste your time doin the research, why should any one waste there time helping? Sorry to be so blunt but alot of people post once and is never seen again.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    Well you said you don't want to waste your time doin the research, why should any one waste there time helping? Sorry to be so blunt but alot of people post once and is never seen again.
    I never said I don't want to waste my time researching, I said I don't want to SPEND my time researching. I appreciate cameras and camcorders are complicated things, with so many features and what nots, I don't want to spend my time studying them when I am not interested in them.

I'm not asking anyone to research for me, I assume many here consider video recording and camcorders a passion and could recommend me a few off the top of their head, or click the two links provided and say "yep, those are pretty good for the price". If you were to ask me about something I know about such as computers, I wouldn't need to do research, I could tell you from the top of my head. I was hoping since I posted on a video editing forum, that it would be filled with people who could help.

I've done a little bit of research but really, this is out of my league. Below are some camcorders I'm considering:

Last edited by deadman_uk; 06-21-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Google Sony Webbie

Quote Originally Posted by harleyriv View Post
    Google Sony Webbie
    Thanks, just did. Image quality is fairly poor from what I read. What about the camcorders I posted above?

look on youtube.. someone most likely has test videos up
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Quote Originally Posted by deadman_uk View Post
    Thanks, just did. Image quality is fairly poor from what I read. What about the camcorders I posted above?
    Don't know how you can call 1440x1080/30p poor quality....and for 200? The cameras you mentioned are ok as well but utilise MPEG2 - Horses for courses M'duck...

Quote Originally Posted by harleyriv View Post
    Don't know how you can call 1440x1080/30p poor quality....and for 200? The cameras you mentioned are ok as well but utilise MPEG2 - Horses for courses M'duck...
    On paper it sounds good but from what I read it's not that good image quality wise with many reviews saying it only offers average video quality and very poor still image performance (despite being 5 megapixel). Also it's a pocket camcorder which is one of it's main selling points. My dad doesn't care about the size or weight, and the image quality is at the up most importance. The Sony Webbie just doesn't provide what my dad needs, and I also hear it can't shoot at night time and has no image stabilizer. As I said, I read professional reviews of this but would like to link to you a few customer reviews:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony Webbie MHS-CM1 HD Camcorder (Silver)

The Sony Webbie is not good enough.

Why is MPEG2 bad? I get the impression you meant this as a negative thing. Also, which out of the 4 camcorders I listed is the best? (they are all around the same price).

I will most likely select the camcorder based on what people here say so please if you can spend a few minutes to look through all the specs in the links I provided, I would really be grateful, as most are meaningless to me.
    Last edited by deadman_uk; 06-21-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Well deadman it seems to me you know a great deal already (especially about the Webbie)..I've got to agree with Wil, and suggest you continue your own research and make a selection accordingly.

Harley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast