Thread: New (very) at editing!

1. Default New (very) at editing!

Newbie at Videoing!

I have a Sony HDR-SR10E and have tried using the Sony software supplied to edit with. I have recorded in AVHCD with a hope of putting the finished film on Blu ray!!

I can see the clips on the screen and can play them individually but cannot find out how to join them together and the clip edit setup seems very time consuming.

It is probably me that has got it wrong or is it the Sony software? Perhaps there a better editing suite.
    I am only looking for a moderate suite to start with.

Be grateful for anyone who can point me in the right direction!
    Last edited by Old Feller; 06-18-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Well if the software that came with your camera is up to the same standard as the one that came with the Canon HF10 that I bought it was useless, about all it was good for was playing the videos from the camera, I went to the Corel Video Studio ProX2 in the end as it was an easy program to learn and would handle many different formats, and it will handle the native AVCHD file off the camera, they do a free trail of the software that is fully working, the other thing is you need a fast computer, although with Corel Video Studio ProX2, you can use Smart Proxy and that make low resolution copies of your high definition video and then when you edit it uses the proxy files but when you go to make your Blue-Ray or AVCHD edited video it switches back to the original high definition ones, it does it all in the background and you don't have to do anything apart from selecting smart proxy, it's magic, and makes it possible to edit on slower computers all depending on the resolution you pick for the proxy files.
    Bryan

Old Feller (I take it you're a retired lumberjack..) The software you mention is not an editing package, rather a viewer and trimmer. As Bryan says you will need editing software to proceed. You can get an idea of what's available and how they might perform by trawling the editing topics here on the forum. Harley

4. Default

Thanks for that Harley, will do!

Not a retired lumberjack!

A retired Elec. Project Eng. But I'm retired and out of the rat race which is the main thing!!

Retired from the Rat Race eh? It's certainly getting harder and the hoops are getting smaller, or so it seems - Hope you enjoy your retirement and have fun with a camera
    Harley
    Last edited by harleyriv; 06-21-2009 at 07:29 PM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wandering-free View Post
    Well if the software that came with your camera is up to the same standard as the one that came with the Canon HF10 that I bought it was useless, about all it was good for was playing the videos from the camera, I went to the Corel Video Studio ProX2 in the end as it was an easy program to learn and would handle many different formats, and it will handle the native AVCHD file off the camera, they do a free trail of the software that is fully working, the other thing is you need a fast computer, although with Corel Video Studio ProX2, you can use Smart Proxy and that make low resolution copies of your high definition video and then when you edit it uses the proxy files but when you go to make your Blue-Ray or AVCHD edited video it switches back to the original high definition ones, it does it all in the background and you don't have to do anything apart from selecting smart proxy, it's magic, and makes it possible to edit on slower computers all depending on the resolution you pick for the proxy files.
    Bryan
    Bryan

Took your advice. I checked Video studio out through various web areas, all seemed good. Then I slipped up, instead of downloading a TRIAL COPY I bought the full works. Mistake!!

I have a Sony HDR SR10E, I could not get the prog. to capture it normally after going through all the computer bits ,ie " is the camera recoginzed" YES as a sony mass storage device.

Tried all different options. Nothing! The only way I could record it was by using"insert video material". This copied it in at 720 X 576 stereo!! No help at all.

Emailed Corel support, you know the one that replys in 48 hrs!. 7 days later I sent another email asking why the wait. The next day they replied to both
    saying phone support, which I did. They said that the prog. did not support my camera but I could import through another pprog. and change the file names until I got one that Corel supported or would work with my camera.

I said what was the point of me buying the prog. and not getting the avchd film I wanted. I asked for my money back, but knew that would be a no-hoper.

So basically I am left up the proverbial crap creek!!

Obviously not your fault Bryan.

As the camera has been out a couple of years I pointed out to Corel that after that time one wouuld have expected them to support it. As well as Sony supposedly being one of the market leaders!!

Oh well back to the drawing board. Anyone got any ideas on this please.

Printable ones only!!

Cheers Ian

Ian, Sorry to have put you up the creek as it were, I never use Corel to download off the camera I always copy the MTS files straight from the camera to a folder on the HDD and then bring them into the program after wards, my camera comes with Pixela for capturing from the camera but I find it a hassle to use.
    Can you find the MTS files? on the HF10 I have to go into 3 folders

AVCHD
    BDMV
    Stream

Hopefully there's more than one way to fix the problem.
    Bryan