Thread: Please help me with a polarizer question.

Lightbulb Please help me with a polarizer question.

Hello all, this is my first post. I purchased a JVC camera, the GZ-HD6. It meets all my requirements as long as I am "learner" and kinda new to the videoing. I also use Raynox 6600 0.66x wide-angle lens when I shoot under the stage and I made a customized lens hood.

I bought this cam for recording concerts. I tape my friend's band and I need your help!

The problem are the lights on the stage (reflectors). Whenever they turn to my cam, I get an ugly reflection, as seen on this screenshot:

I tried changing the shutter speed or aperture priority, but doesnt help like I would want. My question is: would a LIN or CIR polarizer help? As I have seen vids on youtube, those polarizers can do a lot of things, but unfortunately there arent any tests at the concerts.

Here are two examples of using the polarizer:

I especially like this second youtube example. So would any polarizer(s) work out my problem with the concert lights? I am going on a tour on friday, and I can still get it.

Any suggestions, thoughts, etc.. would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Tomaz
    Last edited by concert; 06-16-2009 at 09:41 PM.

A polarizer is a filter that takes light whose EM wave is random and filters out all except those waves whose wave is in phase with the polarizer.

Reflected light is polarized to a degree at a particular angle, and the upshot is that if you look at a surface with light reflected from it through a polarizer it will at the right angle, block almost all the reflected light, making glare disappear.

In the same way if you point a polarizing filter at the sky, it will block out much of the randomly polarized light and the sky contrast will increase.

But the glare you are getting from stage lights is from a point source and randomly polarized, and isn't going to be helped a great deal by such a filter.

The big vertical streaks of glare you see when you point a digital CCD camera at a light source is an artifact of the CCD technology. CMOS sensors don't suffer from that (at least to the same extent)