Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timelines

Default Timelines

OK, I think I'm missing an important trick here...

I'm still working on the same bloody project I've been working on for the last several weeks. Each time I've done it (and burnt it to DVD - thank goodness they're cheap) I notice something I could have done better, or want to include.

This time, I realised I'd omitted to put chapters in (silly, really, because as well as wanting to transfer VHS to DVD in order to preserve it, the other reason is to make it more accessible, easier to use. But I digress...)

So, I imported the project from Premiere to Encore and laboriously went through it putting in eight chapter points. So far, so good. In 'Preview' I can now skip from chapter to chapter.

But what I really wanted to do was a) to be able to play the whole DVD start to finish just by clicking on a menu button called 'Play All' (or whatever), and b) to play individual chapters, with the chapter returning to the main menu at the end.

I know this is thoeretically possible, having watched/listened to the excellent tutorial by Mr. Wigley. However, nothing I've tried - setting over-rides etc. - seems to work.

I notice, however, that the esteemed Mr. Wigley created his original project using a different timeline for each chapter, and he links timelines to buttons in order to create the desired effect.

I, however, created my original Premiere project using just a single, hour long timeline.

So, my questions are:

1. To be able to do what I want to do, can I only do it if each chapter is a unique timeline, or is there something I'm doing wrong?

2. If I do indeed need to turn my single hour long timeline into eight smaller timelines, is there an easy way in Premiere of going back to the project and cutting/pasting the original timeline into eight new ones?

Thanks guys....
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Blog Entries

You need to link the menu items to the chapter points.

1) Click on the button you created for the chapter link (if you don't have one, create some text and convert it to a button)
    2) Go to the properties window and click teh arrow icon next to Link
    3) Select the timeline and chapter point

I've done two live music event projects, one with seperate time-lines for each band, and the other with one long time-line for the whole gig, both of them use the above method of using a link to the song title to link to the relevant chapter and with the override set to the relevant chapter selection menu.

But, when you go to the chapter selection menu on the one with the seperate timelines and choose a random song to play, it plays through and then "Overrides" to the song selection menu at the end of the bands set (which is the end of the timeline).

And when I select a song from the other project the override doesn't seem to work, it just plays the whole gig (timeline) and goes back to the menu.

Obviously the end-action of the seperate timelines is to carry on to the next band, so If I press play all it plays the whole thing through.

Anyway, unless I'm doing the same thing wrong that you are, I think you have to make seperate timelines for each bit that you want to have an Override back to the menu.

I've tried to deal with this in Encore by cropping the timeline to different places, so I wouldn't have to import a bunch of AVI's but I think it's easier just to do it in Premiere, razoring and re-exporting.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Marc, thanks. Done that, but couldn't make it work. Tried various combinations in the 'Link' and 'Override' boxes, and while I could change some of the ways in which each chapter worked, I couldn't get to a situation where, if you just clicked on an individual chapter button, it would just play that chapter, then return you to the main menu. Any further thoughts?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

bgarthp: thanks. Sounds like either a) we're as stupid as each other, or b) timelines are critical if you want to do what I want to do. Personally, I favour the latter explanation.

Blog Entries

You can only use end actions and overrides on videos/timelines, not chapter points. From the Encore help file:

Each standard link has an optional override setting that can override the end action of the destination. The standard link sets the next destination; the override sets the end action of that destination, replacing its default end action. Overrides give you dynamic control over the navigation through a DVD. You can change the path through the DVD according to what the viewer has just watched.

For example, to create a music DVD, you would put the video for each song on its own timeline. The end action of each video clip would point to the next timeline so that the viewer could play the entire disc if desired. When creating the menu, you simply link the Play All button to the first video, and each clip will automatically lead to the next. However, the viewer will also want to play the clips individually. After playing a single video, you want the DVD to return to the menu rather than moving on to the next clip. To do this, you create separate buttons for each clip. Then you link each button to the individual video and set the override to display the menu, thus replacing the timeline's default end action. (Playlists, which also include end actions, allow for more robust navigation than standard end action overrides. To see how this example is created using playlists, see Working with playlists.)

Dang it - thanks Marc. So, back to the original Premiere project... :( Is there an easy way of cutting/pasting my one big timeline into eight small timelines?

Blog Entries

You'll have to do it in AP. Simply create a new sequence, drop your original sequence (1) onto the new sequence (2), cut this into chunks then export each section.

Thanks Marc. I'll let you know how I get on. I bet you can hardly wait...

I'm not sure if this would work but could you export just the "work area" or something?
    so you could just open your original project and drag the work area (can't remember if that's what it's called) bar at the top of the time-line to the relevant point, then export just that bit, then drag it to the next bit and repeat until you've got 8 AVI's.
    Maybe this involves the same amount of work actually, but you don't have to create new projects.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast