Thread: Pinnacle Studio 8

Default Pinnacle Studio 8

Okay, I bought a $1000 Canon video mini-dv camera to capture video of my family and burn to DVD. I can capture video but not burn. I've tried numerous programs and none seem to work. I love the interface of pinnacle eight the best but it's the worst as far as freezing. It freezes every time I burn and it would take like 18 hours to burn a whole dvd or something!

I've spent HOURS and HOURS only to lose the whole deal in the last phase. It's extremely frustrating. We also got a pinnacle video editing card of some type.

So, my question before I scrap the whole process, sell this and get a camera that records right to DVD is this: Do I need more RAM? I currently have 512. Somebody told me I need at least a GIG to do video. True? And do I need a dedicated hard drive to burn from? If I can get those two things I might keep this as I know I"ll lose a lot more selling the camera. It was top of the line at it's time, but it's been a year and I'm sure I'd lose hundreds of dollars selling.

What setup do you suggest. Is Pinnacle 8 as worthless as it seems or am I blaming an innocent program for my computer's lack of hardware/memory? Any answers most appreciated. I've spent so much money just trying to get a DVD. We even bought a DVD recorder--which is useless as it is so hard to edit, and it takes forever tying up the TV while it burns. Yuck! I'm at my wits END. I'm $2000 into this and for that money I could have had my DSLR photography camera that I'm pining for!

Thanks,

There were definitely known stability problems with Studio 8 and DVD burning, which were sorted out in their latest release Studio 9 and Studio 9 Plus. I would seriously consider upgrading as I don't believe it is all that expensive.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

I don't think your problem is RAM, i've only got 256 and I can burn and capture fine, and you don't need a dedicated hard disk either, might help to de-frag the one you're using, but it shouldn't effect the burning process.

I'd upgrade the software. Or use the software you got bundled with the DVD-writer, it'll be basic, but it should be a lot more stable.

And I wouldn't buy a DVD-Cam, they're pretty dodgy apparently.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i