Thread: VHS to DVD help

Unhappy VHS to DVD help

I need some advice on transferring VHS to DVD. These will be some home movies and a lot of my kids Disney movies. I have a new emmerson vcr for playing the tapes, a Grex stabilizer, and my computer is an HP Pavillion M9040n desktop, two 300 gb hard drives, 3 gigs of RAM, Intel 2 quad core processors at 2.4ghz. The computer also has a Hauppage WinTV-HVR-1800 tuner card for both digital and analogue signals. Oh, and Windows Home Vista premium. What would be the recommended program to capture and transfer my VHS tapes and store them on one of my hard drives then burn them to DVD. I would like to keep the price of the software under $150 if I can. Im looking for quality and no dropped frames of course. Also is there anything else I need to start this project. Thanks for any help.

My suggestions would be vegas studio or premier elements. Their the watered down versions of the full programs and they fall in your price range. Plus if you decide to upgrade you'll get a discount. Check the trials for you self to see what you like. Everyone will say the program they use is the best and everything else is crap. Only you can make that decission. Most programs will do the same stuff its what you can do with it that counts.. Good luck
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Commercially available VHS tapes usually have some sort of Macorvision encryption on them to stop the very process you are wishing to carry out. Even if you did manage to copy them onto dvd, the quality will not be dvd quality it will still be VHS, you are just watching it on a dvd disc.

There's actually several ways to bypass, decrypt and remove macrovision protection.

Default Thanks for the input

Thanks to all for the input. I'll check out the software programs suggested and your correct in stating everyone says theirs works the best. For every positive comment I see about software I see a negative one which is why I posted to get more opinions. Regarding the Macovision, I have the Grex stabilizer to address this issue. I also realize that converting VHS to DVD will only get me VHS quality on DVD. I want to make the conversion for ease of use on DVD players to watch the movies and to cut down on storage as well as preserving the movies on DVD and my hard drive. Anyhow, thanks to all who responded.

If you are using a stabilizer why not just connect the output to a DVD recorder and cut out the middle man as it were, there are plenty of programs that will allow you to edit and recompile the videos without doing any reconversion of the mpeg2 from the DVD recorder, it's called smart render in the program I use but is very fast.
    Bryan