Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how well does your pc edit avchd?

Default how well does your pc edit avchd?

I'm guessing a lot of newbies like myself are going to be asking the what pc question?
    So I'm thinking a thread like what I use to edit and how fast (out of ten, to edit one minute) might be helpful. THoughts?
    Just thinking real world examples might give people a good reference resource..
    Alex

Blog Entries

I attempted to edit AVCHD on a laptop powered by an Intel Core Duo @ 2.1 GHz with 2gb of RAM, running Windows Vista and Premiere Pro CS4. Result? 1/10.

Quote Originally Posted by alex leominster View Post
    I'm guessing a lot of newbies like myself are going to be asking the what pc question?
    So I'm thinking a thread like what I use to edit and how fast (out of ten, to edit one minute) might be helpful. THoughts?
    Just thinking real world examples might give people a good reference resource..
    Alex
    How exactly do you define "edit the footage" ? A few cuts, transitions, colour correction, adding music etc etc ??? or do you mean render to another format to upload or burn to disc ?

My PC edits AVCHD in real time. to render takes perhaps double time depending on what format. Using Premiere elements 4 BTW

Pc is an Advent quad core with 6gb of ram.
    Last edited by enc; 06-13-2009 at 01:10 PM.

I edit and output short videos (3-25mins) in Pinnacle 12* with AVCHD footage at up to 1980x1080i. Always includes soundtrack, effects, etc. I used to use a Core Duo @ 2.6GHz 2gb ram 0.5gb graphics set-up with reasonable, if slow rendering and timeline scrubbing, but now have a Quad Core i7 965 @3.3GHz 9gb ram and 1gb memory, with exceptional results.

*also use Vegas 8.1 on same system

I edit using a 1.8Ghz (yeah, I know) Pentium D. It's not exactly what you'd call speedy, but it just about manges.

I just rendered a 4min video and it took 25mins to do so.

Just did a 1 min edit from 36 trimmed clips AVCHD 1920x1080i 25fps and a music track and it took just under 6 mins to render at 18Mbps at 70 percent quality setting, using Corel Video Studio ProX2 and the computer is a Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00GHz 2GB ram XP.
    I have found if I use the AVCHD disc output option I can get 100 percent quality and the render time goes up to 8mins the file size at 70percent is 90,984 KB the 100percent is 124,788 KB
    Bryan

Blog Entries

Well after all of these results, I decided to fire up Premiere CS4 one more time and give native AVCHD editing another bash. And whad'ya know, it only works like a charm!

Hi Guys

I made the mistake of "testing" by DuoCore 2,2Ghz with 10 x 1 minute clips with a few crossfades, so overlayed video and a title and it worked beautifully!!

I shot my usual weekend wedding and, of course, the A-Cam footage of the ceremony needs to be continuous so I ended up with an 18 min clip to edit.

The computer struggled and battled and jerked and eventually I gave up and transcoded the footage. It seems that Vegas doesn't like BIG clips and it just cannot handle more than a few minutes.

Just beware of editing long sequences!! That's where the problem occurs!!!
    I guess you could drop in a 10 minute clip and chop it up into 1 min segments and it might help but I definately found that BIG clips are where the problem occurs so I don't think it would help. Before you decide whether your machine is fast enough, first load it with a 2GB AVCHD file and then see what happens!!

Chris

I'm just wading into AVCHD editing. I have an AMD 1.8 quad core machine with 4 gb of ram and ATI Radeon integrated video. Do you think this will handle the video from my Canon HF-20 camera using Vegas MS? I haven't been able to import the .mts file type yet, so I haven't been able to try it. I just wondered what your opinions would be.

Hi Drew

I use Vegas Pro 9 and I think you have to have MovieStudio 9 to import MTS files!! 4GB of RAM should be fine with a Quad Core but I'm told that the "correct" AVCHD computer is at least a 2.6 Quad (8 core preferred) with at least 8GB of ram and you need to run a 64bit OS like Windows 7 !!

Too much money for me at the moment but I'm sure others can confirm your specs!! As mentioned it does depend of the clip size!! My Duo edits with no problem as long as each clip is around 2 minutes..it only freaks out with very big clips that my 3GB ram cannot handle!!

Everything also comes down to what you will render the video as!!! I do weddings so everthing is on DVD so transcoding to a lower format makes life easier for me!

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast