Thread: Newbie Needs Help !

1. Default Newbie Needs Help !

I have a "help the newbie" thread... up until 6 months ago I was shootign with a pretty simple Sony PC 120 video camera... but recently invested a big chunk of change on a Sony HD Z5E video camera... now all I need to do is work out what I should be setting the settings on lol...

I shoot in pretty small apartments usually... normally with some natural lighting, and I also throw 2x 650 Arri Juniors in to brighten things a little, even though dont usually notice too much difference with the natural light... Usually bounce the lights off the ceiling... as pointing them at the subject usually creats crazy shadows in the small area we shoot in...

So my questions are...

1. Shutter Speed... ? What shutter speed should I set the camera on ? I shoot glamour stuff so it's models

2. DB Gain... I under stand it improves the brightness, but at what expense ? Does a higher DB gain make the image more grainy, like when you shoot in a high ISO on a stills camera ?

3. Does using a low F stop on the iris have the same effect as the stills camera, as in blurs background ?

Thanks in advance

2. Default Hmmm...

Did I post this in the wrong section or maybe even the wrong forum ? Anyone got any suggestions ???

Would really appreciate some help

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheStudioMK View Post
    Did I post this in the wrong section or maybe even the wrong forum ? Anyone got any suggestions ???
    Probably the Cinematography forum would yeild a better response. Anyway ...

1. You want the slowest shutter speed that will produce a clear image (unless you want a specific effect). If your glamour models are moving quickly , you'll need a faster shutter speed.

2. Boosting the gain will most likely introduce graininess. How severe depends on how much you're boosting it. Remember you're tryting to compensate for low light by artificially amplifying the signal electronically.

3. Your assumption about the F stop is correct, but digital video (especially at consumer level) has nowhere near a shallow a depth of field as say a 35mm SLR.
    Tim

4. Default

Hey Tim thanks... can you give me a rough idea of shutter spead for shooting people ? I wouldnt say they are moving fast mind lol...