Thread: Video Motion Tracking / Attaching to a fixed point

Default Video Motion Tracking / Attaching to a fixed point

Im not sure what its called, thats why my topic title is a little vague. Anyway, I dont even know if Vegas or Media Studio supports this, but I am trying to find a program that basicly lets you mark a point in a video, then insert an image on that point and when the point moves, the image stays with it.

Example:
    A man is running with his arms out like hes holding a shotgun. You tell it to put 'point A' on his left hand, and 'point B' on his right. Then attach point A to the back of the shotgun, and B to the front. You render the video and the shotgun stays in his hands.

Pretty simple what Im looking for, Im sure its out there, just not sure where!

Thanks!

*Edit*
    I had a thought. Maybe instead I could just import a picture and rotate it as needed per frame of animation, but, is there a way I could save that animation list and then use it at a later time with a different image? (Different gun)
    Last edited by Lachdahnan; 06-12-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Your guess is right - it's called Motion Tracking. And I'm afraid Sony Vegas doesn't support it.
    It's also not as simple as you think. Consider your example: As the left and right hand move closer to each other/further away from each other, how do you want the gun to move to fit the hands?
    You could certainly do an approximation with Vegas using keyframes - you may well not need to do every frame, but it quickly becomes very tedious all the same.
    Tim

The programme I use for this is After Effects. Simple to do. See videocopilot.com for really good tutorials. Obviously expensive though. Maybe someone else can suggest something cheaper?