Thread: Does anyone use a Western Digital external hard disk?

Default Does anyone use a Western Digital external hard disk?

I bought a Western Digital external hard disk 6 months ago and I was using it as backup for my projects. Anyway, everything was working fine up until yesterday so I go to connect it up earlier tonight and not a peep. No noise, no light coming on, not being picked up by Windows, nothing. I've tried different USB cables and there is electricity coming out of the mains cable (stuck a phase tester into it and it lights up).

It looks like it's bit the dust, thank you very much WD I really needed that. Has this happened to anyone else using this ehd or a different make or model? Did you get it fixed, did you have to send it off somewhere to get the data recovered? Do they charge by the megabyte?

Blog Entries

If the actual drive isn't fried, you can normally open up the casing and connect the drive in the same way you would a normal internal drive.

Got it sorted this morning, the power supply died. I took it to a local computer shop and they tested it with a meter and could find no current flowing in it even though I was getting a light using a phase tester yesterday, very strange.

They also upgraded the power supply to a more heavy duty version as the original was only outputting 500ma, the new one has 1amp. It saved me from having to send it off to a data recovery company. Just goes to show you how easy your work can get lost, so to repeat the old mantra, back up, back up and back up.

4. Default

I already pay a WD 1tb ( 2x500gb raid 0 mode ) whit a e-sata connector .... It was literally 2 hard disk in a cheap plastic box that could broke at any time.

Im now whit Lacie, i have some verry nice 1tb one disk usb only ( i dont care its for back up not for real time edeting, so the transfer speed ... i dont really need it ) and it cost 125$

Its the cheapest way that i found to make backup, 125$ 1 tb no *?#%@ raid mode that fail because its 1 - 1tb disk
    Television Technician
    - My Videos -
    Sorry for my bad english im french