Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What software are you using to convert/downconvert from avchd to ?

Default What software are you using to convert/downconvert from avchd to ?

What is your workflow with avchd at present? Do you stick with avchd and edit it alright in your editor, or do you convert/downconvert it to some other format and then open it up in an NLE that cannot use avchd.

WE are getting some AVCHD cameras some time soon and i belive we are either editing "un-converted" avchd, if not then we will reencode it using Adobe Media Encoder. but because we use premiere anyway i doubt we will convert anything

Blog Entries

I use Premiere Pro CS3 to edit downconverted video in DV or HDV. I did purchase an upgrade to CS4 as this has AVCHD support, but my laptop couldn't handle it. So I went back to CS3.

As I have a Panasonic camera, I use the free Mainconcept application to convert to DV. If I feel like editing in HDV, I convert using TMPGenc Express.

Thanks guys, I was wondering if you really lose that much when you convert from avchd over to dv/hdv or is the loss so small you cannot see it? Marc, what are file sizes like when you do the conversion?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Thanks guys, I was wondering if you really lose that much when you convert from avchd over to dv/hdv or is the loss so small you cannot see it? Marc, what are file sizes like when you do the conversion?
    It's only really noticable on a suitable delivery format. If you down convert, it's every bit as good as DV. If you don't, the quality is perceptively better on a High Definition screen than the downconverted stuff. If I play the source straight through my TV, there's no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    What is your workflow with avchd at present? Do you stick with avchd and edit it alright in your editor, or do you convert/downconvert it to some other format and then open it up in an NLE that cannot use avchd.
    Hi Nikosony
    I use Corel Video Studio Pro X2 and edit AVCHD 1920x1080i PAL and never down convert unless I'm putting something on Vimeo and then use the original High resolution edit and select the 1280x720P output and then use SuperC to convert to h264 MOV or mp4, other wise I output in the same AVCHD format as the original at a slightly higher bit rate to the original, you can put half an hour of AVCHD video on a standard DVD that will play on a PS3 but I use a WD TV HD Media player using HDMI and see no difference in the edited video to the original, the only way you can tell which is the original and the edited is by dropping out a still and comparing it at 2x resolution then you can just pick a slight smoothing effect.
    Bryan

I also edit directly with the AVCHD files in 1980x1080i and output to same or a variety of formats. With a fast computer you don't need to down-convert.

I was looking at this:

badaboomit.com

Which apparently uses your CUDA-supported nvidia GPU to do a lot of the work, and judging from reviews, seems to do it at a blistering pace!

See here for CUDA based GPUs: CUDA-Enabled GPU Products - NVIDIA

(good job I've got loads of posts on here otherwise it could have looked like a spam post )

Although I've only just noticed that it seems to only output as h.264 :-/

I don't have AVCHD at present but I spotted this on my way to the forum, it's called Free AVCHD Converter (we like free around here, no nag screens or no watermarks) it's version 1.0 and can be downloaded from Koyote Soft if anyone decides to download it and try it out let us know how you get on with it. The link to the software is down at the bottom left corner of the screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast