Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying laptop

Default buying laptop

hi!

I have an hdv (canon a1s) and avchd (sony se12) cams and i need new laptop for editing... but i`m a bit low on budget

would this work for me?

HP HDX X18-1190EZ Premium Notebook PC reviews, specifications and price

tnx guys

My only worries about that laptop are the Centrino cpu, don't think it's going to handle hi def video with such high data rates. The hard disk only spins at 5400rpm, I always recommend 7200rpm and that is for standard def video. The 4Gb RAM is the minimum you need, if you can work with it then good but you may need more. Does the card reader use SDHC (high capacity cards or will it only read standard capacity cards), again it is recommended that you use high capacity cards if your camcorder records onto them, Class 4 or above so you need to have a card reader that can actually read them aswell. Good selection of I/O ports.

IT looks alright, i think the centrino is a typo as it also say core2? anyway resurch it a bit further. i'd reccomend getting a desktop where possible though as you'll get more for your money.

A desktop would be better as you get more bang for your buck and can be more easily expanded than a laptop. I still have my doubts about that 5400 rpm hard disk, definitely get a desktop.

5400 rpm hard disk. argh didn't notice that, try and get on with a speed of 7200rpm or a ssd (expensive but the best)

thanx guys!

can't see how more than 3 gb of ram will work.......

I notice a big problem on the laptop AND pc buying front for avchd (sony anyway) re: ram
    if you have 4gb or more they (dinopc etc) reccomend a 64 bit system but sony avchd doesn't support 64 bit (or so it says on the box) so it looks like 3gb is tops.
    also most laptops spin at 5200

that said i tried playing back some footage on a sony laptop with
    256 mb graphics card
    2gb ram
    intel dual core 2ghz
    and it worked a treat and was quick...
    Alex
    I'm also looking for a laptop as I just can't get my head around paying good money for a pc that stays in one place. At least a laptop could be used in the field when filming...
    saw a compaq in pcworld for 449 that had same spec as the sony that worked?Compaq CQ60-320SA Laptops - Cheap Compaq Laptops. Buy the Compaq CQ60-320SA laptop at PC World.

Quote Originally Posted by alexleominster View Post
    can't see how more than 3 gb of ram will work.......

I notice a big problem on the laptop AND pc buying front for avchd (sony anyway) re: ram
    if you have 4gb or more they (dinopc etc) reccomend a 64 bit system but sony avchd doesn't support 64 bit (or so it says on the box) so it looks like 3gb is tops.
    also most laptops spin at 5200

that said i tried playing back some footage on a sony laptop with
    256 mb graphics card
    2gb ram
    intel dual core 2ghz
    and it worked a treat and was quick...
    Alex
    I'm also looking for a laptop as I just can't get my head around paying good money for a pc that stays in one place. At least a laptop could be used in the field when filming...
    saw a compaq in pcworld for 449 that had same spec as the sony that worked?Compaq CQ60-320SA Laptops - Cheap Compaq Laptops. Buy the Compaq CQ60-320SA laptop at PC World.
    Nikosony is right about the drive spin speed, the higher the better (I believe 7200 is currently tops on a laptop) I started editing with AVCHD files on a laptop with a spec almost identical to the one you descibe here, and although a little slow, it was perfectly useable. With a 32bit OS 3gb of available RAM is tops - you'll need a 64bit system to get beyond. Incidentally, the browser software supplied with Sony AVCHD cameras, Vegas 8.1 onwards (and Pinnacle for that matter) do all run in a 64bit OS environment.
    Last edited by harleyriv; 06-12-2009 at 11:59 PM.

[QUOTE=harleyriv;Sony AVCHD cameras, Vegas 8.1 onwards (and Pinnacle for that matter) do all run in a 64bit OS environment.[/QUOTE]

mmm thats interesting. that laptop i quoted or one like it said something on the spec sheet like
    64 bit enabled yes
    but it was running vista 32 bit. does that mean its ABLE to run it but doesn't? In which case is that just as good as having 64 bit vista on it?
    Do you know what I mean?
    Good info by the way?

Thanks for saying you edited to some fashion on a simlar laptop. Very helpful for me to know THe next laptop up was a 100 more and had 512mb graphics card and I'm wondering if its worth the extra?

Thanks
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alexleominster View Post
    mmm thats interesting. that laptop i quoted or one like it said something on the spec sheet like
    64 bit enabled yes
    but it was running vista 32 bit. does that mean its ABLE to run it but doesn't? In which case is that just as good as having 64 bit vista on it?
    Do you know what I mean?
    Good info by the way?

Thanks for saying you edited to some fashion on a simlar laptop. Very helpful for me to know THe next laptop up was a 100 more and had 512mb graphics card and I'm wondering if its worth the extra?

Thanks
    Alex
    Alex - You'll need to change to a 64 bit OS to get the advantages of greater than 3gb usable memory, however, the software industry is somewhat behind the curve and you'll find some things don't run (you'll have to hunt for antivirus software for instance - try AVG) and you may need to retain a 32bit version of I.E, as well for certain downloads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast