Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's about time- AVCHD's own forum...

1. Default It's about time- AVCHD's own forum...

Hi,
    This is my first post, and also being in the market for a new PC system, I've been waiting to build my new system for a few months. I've seen a few threads on the hardware aspect, and was fully prepared to go that route. Upon further consideration though, I thought how can I build a new system without considering the software first and then building a new system around supporting that software. I've been thinking from the hardware standpoint the iCore7 route, but some are suggesting putting my money into the graphics side of things. That said, I'm interested in trying to get software that will utilize a 64 bit OS that will maximize the software coded for certain hardware. I'm a total newbie to video and it's hardware though. Currently I have a Sony HDR-SR5 for a video cam. I'm recorded a few clips, but my current PC takes forever to render anything, so I've taking a hiatus from using it currently until I get my system up and running. My single core AMD just doesn't cut it (it's a FX-55) and am basically going to read up and what software that is available to use that would take advantage of a 64 bit OS. Currently the software that I own is the Pinnacle Studio 11 Ultimate I purchase about a year and half ago only to discover my current computer is woefully inadequate to render anything without take most of the day .

Regards-
    Surf1div1

Half of you problem is that your using pinnacle.. I tried pinnacle and found it buggy, slow and with the worst customer service I have ever seen.. Once I switched to Vegas My renders were fast and with out crashes, which I got every other time I tried to use pinnacle.. Try the trials of vegas and premiere and see what you think.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

3. Default

Wil, does Vegas come in a 64 bit flavor, or if I was to also consider Linux, is there any software app's that would work for AVCHD? Again, I'm still in the research stage and looking at what software is doing the job as most reviews I've seen tend to push the commercial vs open source stuff. At work, one of my bud's is suggesting seeing if Linux has anything and thinks that they do. Being a PC guy, I've been reluctant, but also don't want to go through a huge learning curve waiting for updates for an application to handle right off the top. At the time I purchased the Pinnacle product it was regarded as the product to get. Your absolutely correct about the C/S- it plain sucks.

Regards-
    Surf1div1

Have a look at some of these...

The following video-editing software features support for the AVCHD format:

* Adobe Premiere Pro (from version CS4 onward; support not included in the trial version - activation must occur to gain AVCHD support)
    * Adobe Premiere Elements (from version 7 onward)
    * Apple's Final Cut Express 4, Final Cut Pro 6.0.1, and iMovie '08-'09 (iMovie is bundled with all new Apple computers; Final Cut Express and Pro are sold separately) do not support editing of AVCHD clips directly. Imported AVCHD clips are automatically converted into the Apple Intermediate Codec format, which requires more hard disk space (40GB per hour as opposed to 13.5GB per hour for Standard Definition DV), a more powerful machine (an Intel-based Mac), and a more recent OS (Mac OS X 10.5). Final Cut Pro 6.0.5 "logs and transfers" the footage from AVCHD to AppleProRes by default and also gives the option of converting to the Apple Intermediate Codec. It does not allow native transferring of the *.m2ts clips nor directly editing them. The latest release of Apple's iLife suite (specifically, iMovie) has added support for AVCHD Lite cameras and camcorders.

* Cyberlink PowerDirector 7 is capable of editing AVCHD natively, without transcoding, intermediate codecs or proxy files. Using a patented technique (SVRT), AVCHD clips can be edited and output losslessly to AVCHD or Blu-ray disc. PowerDirector also supports GPU encoding acceleration on both ATI and NVidia graphics platforms. PowerDirector can output the finished movie to a variety of video formats, DVD, AVCHD on DVD, or Blu-ray disc.
    * Avid Xpress Pro, Avid Media Composer
    * Grass Valley's Edius 5.0
    * Dayang's Montage Extreme [ME] 1.2
    * Nero Ultra Edition Enhanced (from version 7 onward) includes the Nero Vision editor and the Nero Showtime player, which both support AVCHD files. NeroVision can author DVDs in the AVCHD format.
    * Pinnacle Studio Plus (from version 11 onward)
    * Sony Vegas 7.0e
    * Vegas Pro (from version 8 onward)
    * Vegas Movie Studio Platinum (from version 8 onward)
    * Kdenlive for Linux and BSD platforms

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    Half of you problem is that your using pinnacle.. I tried pinnacle and found it buggy, slow and with the worst customer service I have ever seen.. Once I switched to Vegas My renders were fast and with out crashes, which I got every other time I tried to use pinnacle.. Try the trials of vegas and premiere and see what you think.
    I use Pinnacle Studio out of choice (also use Vegas Pro9) Version 11 was a bit troublesome but 12 is a dream. I've got a a pretty good system though (i7 Quad core based) but all in all I prefer the simplicity of Pinnacle and the fast workflow. If you have an eye to an i7 based computer, and don't routinely need more that 2 video tracks on the timeline, Pinnacle is a perfectly good choice of software, which also edits AVCHD files natively and works on XP 64bit and Vista 64bit platforms.
    Last edited by harleyriv; 06-12-2009 at 11:43 PM.

6. Default

Thanks to all your input...I will really have to investigate niksony's software recommendations. I am planning to go with the Icore7 to (the 920 CPU) , but because I haven't settled on a motherboard, I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I haven't done any editing since I saw how long it took to edit my recording of an outdoor Blues festival two years ago. Since I do a lot of live music recordings (24/96) and recently purchased a small SD card based cam for stealth shows (it's the Canon FS100) I've used the Canon more and more as result of the rendering issue. It's also why I've now looked at a new computer system since I see that 'possibly' the technology is there to support the native AVCHD I would like to use. I can see that the learning curve is pretty steep compared to my old analog Sony HI8 which is a pain to go from analog to digital as you have to convert in real time (did I say I'm not patient btw?). So, with this newer computer system coming up , it's brought my interest in again since the current computer is from 2004. It's been great EXCEPT for the AVCHD.

Regards,
    Surf1div1
    Yesterday, 12:01 PM

When you say editing program i assume you dont mean your movie making program?

Ive decided to bypass the software that came with the camera as i dont want to put my raw fottage through yet another program. I am looking for a lossless converter and i dont care about conversion time.

8. Default

No, Video Editing- like Pinnacle that I'm currently trying got get configured on my new I-7 system.
    Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
    When you say editing program i assume you dont mean your movie making program?

Ive decided to bypass the software that came with the camera as i dont want to put my raw fottage through yet another program. I am looking for a lossless converter and i dont care about conversion time.

Download Sony Vegas Platinum 9 and you won't have to do any converting. It will open the files straight from the memory card or ISD, but it would be better to copy them onto your hard disk first.

10. Default I7 Editing

Thanks Nikosony- I've already based on your previous recommendations downloaded the Cyberlink Director ( and so far it's o.k., but will have to purchase this after 30 days. I've already purchased the Pinnacle product 2 years ago, and the response I got back from my C/S request for the serial # issue is to screen shot what I get and attach it to an email.
    I'll go through the motions, but will also try these other products and see how they work. So far, I'm unable to do with the Cyberlink Director native format to a DVD- it was a coaster, but am able to other formats. I just have to work with it. Any recommendations for High Capacity media to use in this Blue Ray Burner? So far, the new system is fantastic- my first build from scratch and never realized just how easy it is to put together a system. I'm loving the I7 but the OS 64 bit is somewhat a challenge on device drivers as some of you know. My Driveragent is pretty useless for this stuff. Anyway, now I can start to focus on using this video-cam as I've put it off waiting for the hardware costs to drop to where I could reasonably burn a copy without bogging down my own system.

Thanks in advance-

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Download Sony Vegas Platinum 9 and you won't have to do any converting. It will open the files straight from the memory card or ISD, but it would be better to copy them onto your hard disk first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast