Thread: Looking for video edit controller (to control video editing software) any tips?

Exclamation Looking for video edit controller (to control video editing software) any tips?

My dad's hobby is video editing (with Magix) and since fathers day is coming up I would like to buy him a nice controller for video editing software.

Are there any (usb) controllers worth taking a look at?

Could find interesting stuff via google except old junk.

All tips welcome! Thanks in advance.

Jochen

EDIT: something like this EDIROL DV-7DLC Video Editing Controller for DV-7DL series and PR-50

but universal for any kind of video editing software
    Last edited by Dr.Drane; 06-10-2009 at 09:17 PM.

You can get keyboards with a jog control build into them

What software does your dad use?

Magix (yeah I know, adviced him premiere or other stuff but he likes it).

I have a wacom Intuos 4 tablet which has a ring that I can use to control video playback and I find this really useful, so I find it very strange that there aren't some decent usb controllers which offer this... there must be a big market for controllers for video editors.

Greets

Magix!?!?! i've never heard of them till now, a quick google tells me that they me fairly decent software but they don't seem to be very popular so i doubt you'll be able to find one very easily.

The software it self looks like it's been made in paint but so does avid :P

You may be able to get a control wher when you turn it it does a key command. so for example if you more it round to the right it'll "press" the right arrow amking it skip forward.

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    Magix!?!?! i've never heard of them till now, a quick google tells me that they me fairly decent software but they don't seem to be very popular so i doubt you'll be able to find one very easily.

The software it self looks like it's been made in paint but so does avid :P

You may be able to get a control wher when you turn it it does a key command. so for example if you more it round to the right it'll "press" the right arrow amking it skip forward.
    Yeah Magix has a video app that's pretty cool. It's no premiere I guess but my dad is very positive about it.

Yeah indeed via keymapping. I can scrub my video playing in After Effects with my Wacom Intuos4 tablet ring.

So the ring on the left in the image.

This also works via key mapping but it works very well. If I turn faster the video plays faster... also I can use the shortcuts with the displays (which change when you switch application) very handy.

But this is quite expensive, was looking for a cheaper present for my dad. Something like: $89.00 - CONTOUR DESIGN ShuttlePRO v.2 Jog Shuttle - SPROV2

I can imagine there are so few controllers available for video editing freaks with some nice functions while there is load of input gear for gamers or muscician...

Anyways I think I will get the device in the link I posted above...I guess it's kinda what I'm looking for. Of course any tips still welcome.

Thanks for the reply and have a nice weekend!

Jochen

Why don't you get that shuttle pro as it says that it is customisable so it will work with any program

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    Why don't you get that shuttle pro as it says that it is customisable so it will work with any program
    I probably will, but I thought there were much more comparable devices on the market, so thats why I started asking here. There must be a market for things like this I guess because when editing video such a scrub wheel can come in very handy.

Greets

Default controller for magix