Thread: Microphone for HF100

Default Microphone for HF100

I'm looking to spend about £80 on a microphone for my HF100. I've heard that Canon's own DM-100 microphone is pretty good, has anyone had any experience with it? Also, the Rode Videomic also sounds a good option, but it needs an external battery, which isn't great.

Is the Rode much better than the Canon, do you think? The use will be general recording of family outings, and will also be used extensively for making short films.

Bass rolloff is an issue too; I’d like to have the option to turn it off.

I'd like to hear if there are any other options. Thanks.

Several guys here don't like the Rode. On another forum I've hung out at there are some Rode Videomic fans who swear by it.

The Canon mic is quite a clever beast in that it can do omni stereo and shotgun. But I don't know how good it is.

The hard fact of the matter is that £80 is small change when it comes to good shotgun mics. (or indeed good mics in general)

Audio Technica, AKG and Beyer all make battery powered shotgun mics that don't require phantom power, but they are all way over your budget.

Blog Entries

I go along with the ant-Rode opinion. If you buy one, compared to your on-camera mic it wil sound better. However, it is still not good and not worth the extra. Whichever sub-£100 microphone you buy you will end up with a £5 or £10 mic in a posh housing.

Since you only have a 3.5mm input and no phantom powering your choice is limited even more. The K6 system from Sennheiser would be ideal but it is well out of your budget. If you're not going pro or semi-pro, you will be much better off getting something like the Audio Technica ATR55 at about £60 and getting in close.

The position of the microphone is just as important... no I correct myself... more important than the type, make or model of the microphone.

Having just bought an HF11 I'm also looking in the same area, if I find anything wonderful for a stupidly low price, I'll let you know.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 06-11-2009 at 12:43 PM.

WE use Techinca(/) micrphones attached via a hot shoe, it uses an AA batter so it's not exactly hard to get and i THINK it was aroun about £70

Thanks for the replies. I was looking for a mic that's practical (family outings), as well as decent sounding, so I don't think the ATR55 would be ideal as it doesn't attach to the camera (I use my H2 for a mobile mic, using a long jack).

I'd get the DM-100 off the bat as it's very practical (no wires, no batteries), BUT I have my doubts on the audio quality. It wouldn't surprise me if Canon was overcharging as they've used a propriety shoe on the HF100, and as far as I know it's the only mic that works with it.

Blog Entries

In your position I would (and will) do what you've decided anyway. Use the camera mic for atmos and the H2 if you need to get in close. the ATR55 is definitely a large mic which I'd envisioned you using as you mentioned making "short films". For family and fun "less is more" and the H2 is an ideal solution.

I really can't recommend the Rode Videomic or any of the smaller mics which screw onto the top of camcorders, in essence they're the same mics as you've got in your camcorder but in a different housing. They will give "better" sound because they're away from the noises of the camera electronics, zoom controls etc. but are vastly overpriced in my (not so humble) opinion. I don't know the Canon mics but, although Canon are easily the top when it comes to optics, they're not known for their microphones.

Alright, thanks Guru, you've just saved me from wasting quite a bit of dosh... I'm going to wait until I can afford a better quality microhpone, and just use what I've got for now.

Blog Entries

Good call on the Zoom H2. The in-built mics on that are actually pretty good. I've used the H2 to record speech and atmo and have been really impressed and a bit surprised. So using the H2 to get in close will be as good as (if not better than) a cheap mic on the camera further away.

In my (not so) humble opinion.