Thread: Microphone Noise

1. Default Microphone Noise

I recently purchased a low-end Audio Technica shotgun mic. However, it produces a very obvious static-like sound in the background, as if my tv was making the noise. It is very distracting. I know it is a pretty cheap mic, but I figured it'd be better than my XH A1 mic. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Is there anything in the area? air conditioner? other electronic devices? How close to the camera is it? Are you using a sheilded cable? Im gusing your using XLR ports? is it balanced or unbalanced? Also look up the model on line it could be a narmal thing with it or it could just be a bad mic
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Which model mic is it?

How is it mounted on the camera? Maybe you are getting handling/mechanism noise transmitted to the mic.

I have a cheap stereo audio technica mic, and found that a rode shockmount made a huge difference.

4. Default

"Is there anything in the area? air conditioner? other electronic devices? How close to the camera is it? Are you using a sheilded cable? Im gusing your using XLR ports? is it balanced or unbalanced? Also look up the model on line it could be a normal thing with it or it could just be a bad mic"

I am using an Audio Technica AT835b on a boom pole, so it's quite a few feet from the camera, and I am using the XLR ports. I don't know if the cable is shielded or if it is balanced or unbalanced. I've only done two tests, but they have both been very close to a computer. No more than three feet.

5. Default

Here's what I'm getting
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

The 835b is a proper Audio Technica shotgun.

It sounds like mic hiss, a somewhat noisy microphone which shouldn't be the case with at mics at all. My supposition is that you're too far away with the mic and have to crank up the volume to get a level (thus cranking up the noise as well) athough, in that recording the voices didn't sound distant.

Can you power the mic with 48v phantom? With all mics which can work off 1.5v batteries, phantom power always sounds better. If you get a chance to compare your mic powered by phantom and battery you'll see (I mean hear) a huge difference. The level of a phantom powered mic is also much higher than when it's battery powered, which will also cut down the hiss.

Hmm have you tried a new battery or phantom power?

Sounds kindof obvious but we had the same problem and all we did was replace the better and ta da the noise was gone.