Thread: Newvie help with field orders, AVCHD and downscaling to SD

1. Default Newvie help with field orders, AVCHD and downscaling to SD

HI guys,

I'm very new to the HD video editing lark so please bare with me. I'm using Video Studio X2 Pro

1) I have a Panasonic SD9 which captures in AVCHD. I have a monster spec PC to handle the editing but I am very confused about field order. In Video Studio there are 2 places you specify the field order (or frame based). One is in the project perperties and the second is when I output a file. Can anyone tell me what I should be doing in both these sections?

I have played about and get a 'combing' effect no matter what I do. When I import the files into video studio and look at their peroperties its showing as upper field first. So I set project properties to this and when I output using the share media tab (and go to create video file and then AVCHD 1080) i ensure its set to upper field first. When I play the resulting mpg file back on the computer it has that combing effect. If i selected the 'same as first clip' output setting it looks great! I dont think this is the way I should be going though.

1) While the HD footage is great for streaming to my PS3, i can't share this on standard DVD's. Can anyone tell me how to convert the HD video to a SD file so i can burn as you would a normal DVD?

Any help greatly apreciated!

Lee

Hi lee,

I use the Pro X2 and leave the program at it's default setting to edit using smart proxy, it's only when I go to "share" that I select the appropriate out put, such as AVCHD 1920 or Disc DVD I then make it upper field first, I also switch of smart render as this seems to cause glitches some times at the edit points were I've cut between scenes, a way to get the best output for AVCHD is to use the Disc AVCHD and make a simulated AVCHD video up to 30min on a DVD as it defaults to 4.7GB and if you use DVD-RW you can keep reusing it, just re-name the temp file that it stores on the hard drive, it calls it DMF_TEMP and in that folder is one called CvtedTitle in there is the edited video, if you use the "Create Video File" AVCHD 1920 it defaults to 70 percent quality and even if you slide the slider to 100 it still only does 70 percent whereas the Disc option goes to 100 percent and even if it produces a bigger file it is top quality, the combing effect is the interlace and will not show up on a TV you can a make a progressive copy for viewing on a computer, there are some player that seem to be better than others I use one that comes with the CCCP codec pack called a zoom player

Bryan

Hi Lee, just thought I should explain about the CCCP codec pack and the Zoom player, it uses FFDShow and if you go to ffdshow video encoder configuration and in there select deinterlacing you will fix up your combing effect, you should have ffdshow on your computer so check that it has deinterlacing selected it might fix your problem without having to install any new player.

Bryan