Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Are the CanonHV30,Sony HDR-XR100E and Panasonic HDC-HS300 broadcast quality cameras?

  1. #1

    Default Are the CanonHV30,Sony HDR-XR100E and Panasonic HDC-HS300 broadcast quality cameras?

    Are the Canon HV30, Sony HDR-XR100E, Sony HDR- SR10E and Panasonic HDC - HS300 broadcast quality cameras ? Is their quality acceptible for professional short film festivals and publicly presentable documentaries ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,192
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    A mobile phone is "broadcast quality" if you've got unique footage which is worth broadcasting. Each broadcaster has their own standards, which can be found on their respective websites, usually as a downloadable pdf file.

    In the same way, each film festival has its' own requirements, also available from their respective websites.

    Each case is individual, there are no longer "general standards" anywhere.

  3. #3

    Default

    hi dude., all International film festivals are accepting both PAL and NTSC fomats.,(espcially DVD) those cameras mentioned above are capable of shooting these formats..apart from this if you need more quality in pictures,. you can go for higher ones... but for doing shortfilms.. sony is best to buy for the learners,., its just my opinion.. i have already done my shortfilm using sony's cybershot still camera with video option.. it has been accepted by all festivals.. sony XR100E will be definitly good. even i am also planning to by this camera by next month.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    A mobile phone is "broadcast quality" if you've got unique footage which is worth broadcasting. Each broadcaster has their own standards, which can be found on their respective websites, usually as a downloadable pdf file.

    In the same way, each film festival has its' own requirements, also available from their respective websites.

    Each case is individual, there are no longer "general standards" anywhere.
    I am sure if the content is the same, most broadcasters or exhibitors would prefer a 3CCD HD professional camera footage as compared to a mobile phone footage.

    And I would believe that there is a minimuam standard of quality for any major broadcaster or global film festivals. Would you know which cameras (at the lower price end) could deliver that professional quality (content being constant) ?
    Thanks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsfx View Post
    And I would believe that there is a minimuam standard of quality for any major broadcaster or global film festivals. Would you know which cameras (at the lower price end) could deliver that professional quality (content being constant) ?
    Thanks
    It's not really that simple. They may well have a preferred delivery format, but it's unlikely that we can help stipulate what quality require. That is, of course, also influenced by other variables such as lighting, direction, camera technique, output options etc. In the extreme, you could output from a 10k camera to look like a mobile phone.

    The question you need to ask the organisers is their preferred delivery format. If your camera can record at or above that format, then you're okay.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,192
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    Each case is individual, there are no longer "general standards" anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsfx View Post
    ...And I would believe that there is a minimuam standard of quality for any major broadcaster or global film festivals.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    Each broadcaster has their own standards, which can be found on their respective websites, usually as a downloadable pdf file.

    In the same way, each film festival has its' own requirements, also available from their respective websites.

    What didn't you understand?.

    .
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 06-11-2009 at 03:38 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Ok -

    Yes.

    You can make a quality video using this camera. What people are trying to say is that for a profesional there are "Requirements" bound on us by the clients which we will be selling this media too.

    For instance - If you wanted to sell a documentary to the BBC im sure they would insist on true HD in progressive 1080p. (Im only stabbing in the dark here as i havent), or for something like "Oops TV" for SKY One im sure they will buy anything from 640x480 and up. Here we are talking about the "Definition" of the picture - This translates to the quality, but only if you take into account the rest of what the people are saying:

    Good camera tech
    Very good lighting
    Extremely good audio
    Fantastic direction and acting
    But above all is the story.

    If you have a camera phone (Any) and you record the rescue of a person from a river then it will get on the telly, just as much as if you had used the best "RED" camera in the world.

    However if you want to record F1 racing then if you try and submit it after recording on a mobile phone you will either get laughed at or sent to the "Bloopers" room. This being said - I have a family friend working with me at the moment (Cheap labour) who has done a "Teen on the town" video using a crappy 15 of ebay head mounted action cam, while the quality is absolutely pants, the story is fantastic.

    I myself use a couple of cameras, one of them is the HVR HD1000E, and whilst it is HDV its pants in low light but very good in well lit areas, so i wont use it unless i have a lighting solution...

    To judge "Quality" you first must know your audience.


    So - If you want to take clear shots of something then these cameras will do im sure, but if you wanted to actually put something together with acting in it then no, unless you have all the listed above in place.


    Mitch
    Sorry for the spelling, im drunk as i have just finished my clients shoot.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchuk View Post
    Ok -

    Yes.

    You can make a quality video using this camera. What people are trying to say is that for a profesional there are "Requirements" bound on us by the clients which we will be selling this media too.

    For instance - If you wanted to sell a documentary to the BBC im sure they would insist on true HD in progressive 1080p. (Im only stabbing in the dark here as i havent), or for something like "Oops TV" for SKY One im sure they will buy anything from 640x480 and up. Here we are talking about the "Definition" of the picture - This translates to the quality, but only if you take into account the rest of what the people are saying:

    Good camera tech
    Very good lighting
    Extremely good audio
    Fantastic direction and acting
    But above all is the story.

    If you have a camera phone (Any) and you record the rescue of a person from a river then it will get on the telly, just as much as if you had used the best "RED" camera in the world.

    However if you want to record F1 racing then if you try and submit it after recording on a mobile phone you will either get laughed at or sent to the "Bloopers" room. This being said - I have a family friend working with me at the moment (Cheap labour) who has done a "Teen on the town" video using a crappy 15 of ebay head mounted action cam, while the quality is absolutely pants, the story is fantastic.

    I myself use a couple of cameras, one of them is the HVR HD1000E, and whilst it is HDV its pants in low light but very good in well lit areas, so i wont use it unless i have a lighting solution...

    To judge "Quality" you first must know your audience.


    So - If you want to take clear shots of something then these cameras will do im sure, but if you wanted to actually put something together with acting in it then no, unless you have all the listed above in place.


    Mitch
    Sorry for the spelling, im drunk as i have just finished my clients shoot.

    Thanks for your response. But the advice I have got overall is that content is king, which I though perfectlty understand. But I am sure any broadcaster would prefer high quailty footage of a " rescue of a person from a river" rather then a poor quality.

    So talking about content and that its most important - is given. Its like if I am asking which shoes are good, then i am getting a reply that it depends on how good the athlete is. Well, thats given ! But doesnt matter how good the athlete is I havent seen them running in boots in the Olympics.

    So talking about quality is kind of irrelevent discussion. Or even about lighting etc. Crreativity or quality is important anywhere. But no filmmaker, however good, never shot a movie on mobile to be screened in movie halls. I am sure there are technical spcifications which are required by broadcasters. And I was just trying to know , if these cameras (which I have mentionned) are of broadcast quality. Would any reputed film fesitval , or tv boradcaster, or a movie hall accept it ?

    And please I do understand content is king. (thanks mitch for pointing out the mistake)

    (But lets assume its a good short film, but nothing very dramatic, like aliens abducting the US president or any daredevil river rescue. And its neither one of the best shorts ever made. But just a good one. Say something which conentwise would just about make it for a film festival shot on a very high quality cam - would that be acceptible shot in the above three cameras ?
    Last edited by digitalsfx; 06-16-2009 at 07:02 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    99

    Default

    "So talking about quality is kind of irrelevent discussion. Or even about lighting etc. Crreativity or quality is important anywhere. But no filmmaker, however good, never shot a movie on mobile to be screened in movie halls. I am sure there are echnical spcifications which are required by broadcasters. And I was just trying to know , if these cameras (which I have mentionned) are of broadcast quality. Would any reputed film fesitval , or tv boradcaster, or a movie hall accept it ?"


    I answered your question - Please see the bottom of my other response. "YES".

    But if you buy one of these and are chastised for the quality by someone else then it will be because of one of the points given to you by myself, The Guru and Marc Peters.

    RTFA...

    With regards to the point - But no filmmaker, however good, never shot a movie on mobile to be screened in movie halls. - In fact they have, you just havent been searching the Video mags or indi film fests.

    Again regarding this statement you made - are echnical spcifications - I dont understand, do you mean ethnical, or ethical or even technical. And again RTFA, we have all told you that different broadcasters will expect different specifications, you should check with the people you will be selling too or getting your footage broadcast by.

    Dont under-estimate the knowledge that has just responded to you. The Guru has a wealth of knowledge and experience, MarcPeters is the same and gives excellant answers, and im just a small spot who earns a nice living from this, so if you negate our advice then on your own head be it.

    You say that "And please I do understand quality is king", but its not, CONTENT IS KING.

    Mitch
    Last edited by Mitchuk; 06-15-2009 at 07:57 AM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchuk View Post
    "So talking about quality is kind of irrelevent discussion. Or even about lighting etc. Crreativity or quality is important anywhere. But no filmmaker, however good, never shot a movie on mobile to be screened in movie halls. I am sure there are echnical spcifications which are required by broadcasters. And I was just trying to know , if these cameras (which I have mentionned) are of broadcast quality. Would any reputed film fesitval , or tv boradcaster, or a movie hall accept it ?"


    I answered your question - Please see the bottom of my other response. "YES".

    But if you buy one of these and are chastised for the quality by someone else then it will be because of one of the points given to you by myself, The Guru and Marc Peters.

    RTFA...

    With regards to the point - But no filmmaker, however good, never shot a movie on mobile to be screened in movie halls. - In fact they have, you just havent been searching the Video mags or indi film fests.

    Again regarding this statement you made - are echnical spcifications - I dont understand, do you mean ethnical, or ethical or even technical. And again RTFA, we have all told you that different broadcasters will expect different specifications, you should check with the people you will be selling too or getting your footage broadcast by.

    Dont under-estimate the knowledge that has just responded to you. The Guru has a wealth of knowledge and experience, MarcPeters is the same and gives excellant answers, and im just a small spot who earns a nice living from this, so if you negate our advice then on your own head be it.

    You say that "And please I do understand quality is king", but its not, CONTENT IS KING.

    Mitch

    Hi Mitch,
    Let me first start by saying that I value you and others advices a lot, otherwise I wouldnt be here asking for it. Infact I am basing a lot of my decisions on your advices. I am going to be spending my dollars based a lot on what you and others are going to suggest. So you can make out how much I value your words. I am very grateful for your time and effort to reply to my queries.

    I am sorry if I sounded impatient, but basically I am looking to buy a camcorder, and need expert advice on it - just something specific on the technical side.
    I already have very basic video camera and also video on my mobile. But I am sure you wouldnt advice me to stick to that for any serious filmmaking and certainly you also must be yourself having something more than a mobile video camera. Even the good professional filmmakers, who have excellent content in their films, are using expensive equipment. So somewhere the technical quality must be making a difference.

    Any suggestions what camera I can go for between $1000 to $ 1500 ?

    And thanks for spotting the typos, have corrected them.

    Thanks again for your time..I really value it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for SD DV cam for broadcast quality.
    By devbot in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 01:09 AM
  2. What is the quality like of broadcast camera stills?
    By richmondfloyd in forum Cinematography
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
  3. Sony cameras
    By thedigitalpunkz in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 11:36 PM
  4. Broadcast quality
    By Marsha in forum Pimp the Link
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 12:03 PM
  5. Broadcast Quality Rant
    By Marc Peters in forum Forum Announcements and News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 01:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •