Thread: Departing trains

Default Departing trains

Hello all,

i filmed a ride on a train and made a little music video of it, take a look.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcqk_vRanLA"]YouTube - D-Zug[/ame]
    Last edited by ekawa; 06-08-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

An interesting piece which I'm sure would work well in the right environment.
    It started strongly and ended strongly. And there was some excellent editing.
    But what happened in the middle with all those shots in real colour (mainly of skies)?
    It lost all it's magic for me in that section.

Suddenly we had "reality" and I could see no reason for it. Another reason I didn't like this section was the wasy the direction of travel kept changing - this didnt matter (or occur so much) in the heavily treated footage, but here it seemed out of place.

I particularly liked the beginning section with the four horizontal bands, coded differently.

The whole piece must have taken days to edit.
    Tim

Very well done, it works for me as an abstract piece with the movement, shapes and colours. The coloured sections at the start seemed to resemble a busy train station, empty at first and then they all start arriving in and you have all that hustle that goes with it. A few shots inside the train would have added more interest to it, if it was possible. The music wouldn't be my style but I think it worked well with the visuals. Was there a speck of dirt of dust on the lens, I noticed something around half ways or it might just have been on the outside of the train window?

Thanks for the comments, well it took two days to finish the video, i did not have any idea how to make the colors, i experimented and thought i should let some scenes in the original color. The dust comes from the train window, it was not focused so itl ooks like dust.

Quote Originally Posted by ekawa View Post
    Thanks for the comments, well it took two days to finish the video, i did not have any idea how to make the colors, i experimented and thought i should let some scenes in the original color. The dust comes from the train window, it was not focused so itl ooks like dust.
    I think I have been one that train. Was part of that shot between Stutgart and Manheim?

hehe not quite it was from munich to frankfurt, but hey how do you noticed the track?^^

hehe not quite it was from munich to frankfurt, but hey how do you noticed the track?^^
    I lived in Munich for three years and took the train from Munich to Manheim (route towards Frankfurt) many, many times. I knew I had seen some of that scenery before.

Blog Entries

I really liked it and, in my opinion, it is really well edited.

I agree that the skies in the middle slowed the pace but, since it then went totally hectic, it was nice to have a slight pause before the manic climax.

Nothing brilliant in the camerawork but nice editing and the result was worth watching.

Welcome to Videoforums.

Your editing work was great. Keep it up.

If you have any unused Germany train footage left over, and want a good piece of music to edit to, please consider taking and using the attached .Mp3 file. The file is called "The Bahn Theme" and it is a loop composition I originally put together for a video on the high-speed electric trains, but transferred out of Germany before I could shoot it.

When you listen to the piece there are passages where you can musically visualize the train wheels passing over track points. And if you listen with your imagination, you can sense the ghost of the old German steam trains in past contrast. You are free to use it as you will (or anyone else who likes the music, feel free to rip it off). This is a Royalty Free - FREEBE!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by worddigger; 06-11-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: correcting my many typographical errors