Thread: Please suggest budget video cameras for professional work

Default Please suggest budget video cameras for professional work

I would like to buy a video camera, with which I can shoot broadcast quality short films, documentaries etc and those which can be exhibited at professional short film festivals. However I dont have a limitless budget and lesser the cost I can get it at, the better it would be.
    The really professional, very high end cameras are out my reach. But I would like to get quality that is professional and is globally accepatble.
    The lesser the cost the better, however I have a slightly flexible budget, can stretch but only if its really necessary.
    So can anyone suggest what are the lowest cost video cameras that have a professional quality ?
    If I mention the budget then one will start suggesting within that budget be at the higher end or the lower end. Rather I would like to know the lowest cost cameras among the ones which definitely would give professional results(with professional sound quality too).
    And also which is better HD or HDV ? Which is better ?
    Would higher end SD cameras be better then lower end HD cameras ?
    Thanks ..
    Last edited by digitalsfx; 06-08-2009 at 02:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Lost of questions there! To help give you an answer, it would be good to know your actual budget.

What is better, HD or HDV. Well, HD is somewhat of a loose term used in marketing. It's generally used to describe cameras that can record and output at pixel resoultions greater than 720 x 576 (the PAL standard for Standard Definition). However, that's not to say that it's a standard, and as such can't really be compared.

'HD' formats available to you will be HDV and AVCHD. Anything else which is described as HD within your budget will be at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of quality, as these are typically the very small offerings for the casual user.

Out of HDV and AVCHD, your option would (generally) be HDV at this point in time. Higher end cameras within your likely budget are more likely to offer the manual controls, and options such as interchangeable lenses that you will require.

Out of a high end SD and low end HD, which is better. Well, if you compare a 10k SD camera to a 100 'HD' camera, then the SD one will give much better results. What you need to do is to decide your budget and find out the prefered delivery format for your presentations. If this is HDV, then that's what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Lost of questions there! To help give you an answer, it would be good to know your actual budget.

What is better, HD or HDV. Well, HD is somewhat of a loose term used in marketing. It's generally used to describe cameras that can record and output at pixel resoultions greater than 720 x 576 (the PAL standard for Standard Definition). However, that's not to say that it's a standard, and as such can't really be compared.

'HD' formats available to you will be HDV and AVCHD. Anything else which is described as HD within your budget will be at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of quality, as these are typically the very small offerings for the casual user.

Out of HDV and AVCHD, your option would (generally) be HDV at this point in time. Higher end cameras within your likely budget are more likely to offer the manual controls, and options such as interchangeable lenses that you will require.

Out of a high end SD and low end HD, which is better. Well, if you compare a 10k SD camera to a 100 'HD' camera, then the SD one will give much better results. What you need to do is to decide your budget and find out the prefered delivery format for your presentations. If this is HDV, then that's what you need.

Thanks a lot, that was quite detailed. Could you suggest any particular cameras that gives acceptable quality for professional presentation. How is the Canon HV30 or Sony HDR-XR100E or Sony HDR- SR10E or Panasonic HDC - HS300?

I can spend more ..but only if its very necessary.

HV20 or 30 or 40