Thread: how do you folks organise your video?

Default how do you folks organise your video?

I've now built up a whole bunch of SD video - over 300GB already - and i'm now getting a canon hf10, so i'll be adding HD stuff to further bloat my library, and i'll run out of disk space soon.

I'm wondering - how do you folks all manage your captured video?

I'm currently keeping mine as AVI files @ the orginal DV quality. I'm splitting them all into one-scene-per-file with AVCutty. But i have can't find a decent way to tag them all and keep them organised like i do with my pictures.

I could convert them to mp4 etc and get the size down. Is this good practice? Or do you keep yours in their original format?

I could create movies from them and then compress the movies (i have a Popcorn Hour so i don't want them on DVD etc, i will stream them). Then do you delete the original clips, or keep everything twice?

Do you make movies up from all your home video - or just leave them as clips and browse them?

I guess i'm just wondering what other folks do....?
    Thx.

Blog Entries

Definitely keep them in their original format (or edited versions without all the shots of sky/feet in the original format).

I simply keep all my original MiniDV tapes - and when I go to a higher def that'll be to HDV so I can keep the tapes as well.

This method is self-archiving with no loss of quality.

HOWEVER - I do accept that tapes aren't for everyone and that they pobably won't even exist by the time I move to high(er) def. The only sensible answer in tems of capacity at the moment is hard disk drives. With 1 & 1.5 TERRABYTE hard drives available at silly prices and external ones at only slightly less silly, you'd be silly not to.

Do I edit all my family videos? You bet. Some less severely than others (for example I'm now editing stuff where our then two year old was starting to speak and investigate and comment on the world around her - almost 90% is kept because it's interesting (to us) whereas the Christmas when she was just 1 year old, probably 95% was edited out - however (see previous comments) I still have ALL the original source on tape which I'm sure I'll look at again 20 years down the line.

Having said that, it's a real drudge at times. I bought my first camcorder in May 2005 and I'm only up to the end of 2006 with my editing of this material. At this rate the London Olympics will be over by the time I edit what I'm recording at present.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I always create a montage of my my footage. It's the part of viditing I enjoy the most. This provides a short (normally less than 5 minutes) video of the event. I then archive the project and the raw footage by moving it to an external drive. At the end of the year, I will then create another montage of the entire year.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pvmellor View Post
    I'm currently keeping mine as AVI files @ the orginal DV quality.
    Are AVI files a burgeoning standard in the digital editing world?

Or in the Sony Vegas world?

Miggy

" The time to kill is now..."

Blog Entries

AVI files have always been a standard in video editing. It is the generic wrapper used within Windows video files.

Blog Entries

I retain EVERYTHING in its original AVI, and the edited versions in AVI too. Everything is arranged in folders per project - ie, Folder A - then inside Captured folder, Rendered folder, Audio Folder, Stills folder and Vegas project folder. I frequently have several different vegas projects of the same gig with differeing settings.

Sure, this way I need a shed load of HDDs but at least every item is accessible easily and quickly. If you organise your workflow to begin with and stick to a system, it's easy.

And with the price of external hard drives being so low - why not save everything in the best quality you can?