Thread: Video of the Month is reborn

Blog Entries

Default Video of the Month is reborn

As you may have noticed, Video of the Month (VOTM) makes a return this month. To catch up, I've created a thread which includes both April and May. As you can imagine, a lot of videos were posted (over 120), so to make selecting the shortlist simple, I have selected all videos with 3 or more stars.

If this proves popular (the star system), I will implement this for every VOTM in the future.

Blog Entries

Delighted to see it back. I think the idea of selection based on no of stars isn't bad on the basis that it's "includive".

However, I wasn't even really aware of the facility to give stars (when others had referred to them I assumed they meant in YouTube or whatever site was hosting the vid) and it took me a few seconds to discover that you CAN give stars by selecting the RATE THREAD drop down above the first post in a thread.

So we really need to publicise this functionality (unless I'm unusual in my ignorance of this facility) if we are to make use of it.

I, for one, am going to start using it in earnest now I'm aware. What a great facility!
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    ...we really need to publicise this functionality (unless I'm unusual in my ignorance of this facility) if we are to make use of it.
    Agreed. I will put an announcement in that forum, and perhasps send an email out to registered users.

I think the idea of selection based on no of stars isn't bad on the basis that it's "includive".
    Hope that cold gets better

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Hope that cold gets better
    Danks
    Tim

However, I wasn't even really aware of the facility to give stars (when others had referred to them I assumed they meant in YouTube or whatever site was hosting the vid) and it took me a few seconds to discover that you CAN give stars by selecting the RATE THREAD drop down above the first post in a thread.

So we really need to publicise this functionality (unless I'm unusual in my ignorance of this facility) if we are to make use of it.

!
    yeah, i just spent the last 5 minuets looking for that function

oh btw, is there a facility to change the page colour to something darker, like on certain other sites i frequent

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    As you may have noticed, Video of the Month (VOTM) makes a return this month. To catch up, I've created a thread which includes both April and May. As you can imagine, a lot of videos were posted (over 120), so to make selecting the shortlist simple, I have selected all videos with 3 or more stars.

If this proves popular (the star system), I will implement this for every VOTM in the future.
    Great news! Now can you please update the NOTICE: "Don't forget to vote for your favourite video from February in the Video of the Month contest! Cast your vote in the VOTM thread."...that runs across the top of the site's page? <smile>

Blog Entries

Duly noted and ammended.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    oh btw, is there a facility to change the page colour to something darker, like on certain other sites i frequent
    Unfortunately there is no current ability to change the site design on a per user basis. I am awaiting the next release of the forum software to review options for an image redesign, and I will add this request to the feature list. Other features will include an option for a 'mobile' site design, but all users will be consulted before any changes are implemented.

Hope this answers your question. If you would like further information, just ask.