Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadline approaching, need urgent help.

1. Default Deadline approaching, need urgent help.

Right, I've made some comment in the CPU/jittery preview box a few weeks ago because my vegas movie studio 9's preview box does exactly that.

I got the files from a Canon HG10, they were .mts files, then converted them into .wmv files where I enountered my problem. Its HD quaility. I tried converting them into .AVI, it doesnt open in vegas.

Ive tried the files in final cut pro at college (doesnt open at all) and premier pro has similar problems to a jittery playback.

My laptop is a Acer Apsire 5735Z, duel processor, 250 GB and 3 GB RAM.

My deadline for this film is in 3 weeks, I need help now! Please!!

Blog Entries

Do you want to keep as much quality as possible or do you want to edit easily? If you want to edit easily, then convert to DV. If you want to maintain quality convert to HDV. If you want to maximise quality, import the raw files into Vegas. I recommend tmpgenc xpress for the conversion.

3. Default

i just want to edit it, no matter if I loose a bit of quality. Ok, ive downloaded the converter, but I cant work out what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by barrychuckle1411 View Post
    Right, I've made some comment in the CPU/jittery preview box a few weeks ago because my vegas movie studio 9's preview box does exactly that.

I got the files from a Canon HG10, they were .mts files, then converted them into .wmv files where I enountered my problem. Its HD quaility. I tried converting them into .AVI, it doesnt open in vegas.

Ive tried the files in final cut pro at college (doesnt open at all) and premier pro has similar problems to a jittery playback.

My laptop is a Acer Apsire 5735Z, duel processor, 250 GB and 3 GB RAM.

My deadline for this film is in 3 weeks, I need help now! Please!!
    You will need to ensure that your graphic card has at least 250mb of memory to view the footage without 'the jitters' - you may get away with the platform otherwise. Vegas Pro 8 onwards now handles native AVCHD files *(you must first download them onto your computer using the software supplied with the camera - this will ensure that all the references files are present, then import/drag them from there into your NLE).

* Not sure if Vegas Movie Studio does though.....
    Last edited by harleyriv; 06-06-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by harleyriv View Post
    You will need to ensure that your graphic card has at least 250mb of memory to view the footage without 'the jitters'
    I have always understood that the graphics card has no relevance with Sony Vegas as ALL graphics computations are done in the CPU.
    Researching it a bit since your posts, Harleyriv, I can find nothing to back up your suggestion - but I'm quite prepared to be corrected/learn.

There are several reports on the SonyCreativeSoftware Vegas forum of choppy playback with AVCHD on machines vastly more powerful than this (including one with 512MB Vido RAM.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I have always understood that the graphics card has no relevance with Sony Vegas as ALL graphics computations are done in the CPU.
    Researching it a bit since your posts, Harleyriv, I can find nothing to back up your suggestion - but I'm quite prepared to be corrected/learn.

There are several reports on the SonyCreativeSoftware Vegas forum of choppy playback with AVCHD on machines vastly more powerful than this (including one with 512MB Vido RAM.
    If the files are being streamed from a fast drive (say a Veloceraptor at 10,000rpm) then video buffering is probably not neccessary, but if working with AVCHD files, served from a 5,400 or even a 7,200rpm drive, and whilst scrubbing back and forth, most will find the larger the video memory, the smoother the playback.
    Last edited by harleyriv; 06-07-2009 at 01:30 AM.

7. Default

well ive got a 1244 MB mobile intel graphics. and it doesnt help at all. Ive managed to mess around with the settings and ive got the playback to be less jittery but able to edit with, HOWEVER, vegas now decides to shut down every few minutes giving me no time to edit. And it doesnt tell me why.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by harleyriv View Post
    If the files are being streamed from a fast drive (say a Veloceraptor at 10,000rpm) then video buffering is probably not neccessary, but if working with AVCHD files, served from a 5,400 or even a 7,200rpm drive, and whilst scrubbing back and forth, most will find the larger the video memory, the smoother the playback.
    Hmmmm. I'm not convinced by that argument.

Reason: The ability of the hard disk to serve the raw, compressed, data is critical in all NLE environments BUT, as AVCHD is MORE compressed than other codecs, it stands to reason that the speed of the hard disk is LESS significant with AVCHD than with other formats.
    To put it another way DV-AVI has a transfer rate of 25Mbps whereas AVCHD is less (17,18 or 24), thus DV-AVI is MORE dependent upon a speedy hard disk than AVCHD.

I haven't been able to establish the speed of the hard drives built into Hard Disk Camcorders, but I'd be surprised if they're even 7200rpm.

The fact that even with this lower transfer rate, the images contain many more pixels means that MUCH more work is placed on the CPU.

I'm still happy to be persuaded otherwise - I have no axe to grind, no banner to wave, and no loyalty to anything other than a better understanding.
    Tim

Blog Entries

The chip that performs the calculations on the graphics card (the GPU) is not used within the major video editing applications. Vegas 9 doesn't, and Premiere CS4 does provided you purchase a plugin - RapiHD (and you need a Nvidia Quadro® CX GPU).

We're talking about display here, not rendering... buffering, not decoding. It's a fact - more video memory will give a smoother display.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast