Thread: Sony vegas won't play handycam AVCHD clips

Default Sony vegas won't play handycam AVCHD clips

And nor will anything else...
    Got a new handycam which is great but the software that came with it , wouldn't recognise it's own avchd files... Did a bit of research and a lot of hair pulling and found the advice of downloading the trial of vegas . No problem. But when I highlight a vid clip to play it says "file type not recognised"
    AAArrgghh. How can Sony make a software programme that doesn't play clips from a sony handy cam.
    THe computer is XP, 1 gig ram 80 HD.
    Annoyingly the sony cd that came with it. (mpb or something) wont play the clips either (won't recognise) but when you click slideshow, it does in a jerky fashion..
    I have tried the sony europe site... mmmm not much help.
    Any one got an idea?
    alex

Blog Entries

What are the exact specifications of your PC? You will need a pretty powerful spec to edit the AVCHD files, and it sounds as if your PC doesn't have the horsepower. Inorder to edit the files easily, you will need to first convert to a more universally supported format. You can convert your files to HDV using tmpgenc xpress for example, which you can edit in Vegas.

As an aside, it's also possible that the trial version of Vegas doesn't have the necessary codecs in place to enable editing AVCHD.

Marc is right, sounds like your PC lacks the processing power to deliver results with AVCHD files. Incidentally, Vegas 8 onwards will handle native ACVHD files no problem so you don't neccessarily have to convert them first.

As far as Sony's Picture Motion browser software is concerned, you need to register the files first (the browser will register virtually any video or image file) and then they'll play. The software also has a clip trimming facility.

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the replies. Couple of things for me to check.....
    Is my pc under par for this job? its a dell laptop approx 3 years old.
    Its a dell Inspiron 1300 notebook, with processors from a 1.4GHz Celeron M to the 1.73GHz Pentium M, ???all with a 400MHz front side bus. Mine came with a 1.5GHz Celeron M360 processor, (1gb RAM , a reasonably fast 80 gig 5400 rpm hard disk
    What do I need to look for to realistically edit AVCHD footage? I'm trying to put together a half hour film?

Maybe the sony software hadn't "registered" the clips. I'll check...

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it
    Alex

Blog Entries

Well under spec, I'm afraid, to get usable results.
    The requirements state:
    1 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD)
    Most people wouldn't consider editing AVCHD on anything less than a quad.
    Tim

blimey... mine has a 1.6 ghz pocessesor which is more than 1 ghz but I guess by dual core you mean i need a comp with two or more of them. crikey....
    mmm "thinks" I guess i knew this pc would only "make do" but it looks like it it might not even do that...
    thanks...
    Alex

Blog Entries

Vegas has quite a low requirement compared to other NLEs. AVCHD is the MOST taxing of codecs for NLEs. You just have a particularly poor match.

A Pentium M is a fine processor for office applications on a laptop. But the sort of number crunching required for video editing is massive in comparison to what a Word Doc or an Excel Spreadsheet requires. Multiply that by the fact that in AVCHD you only get one complete compressed frame every 15 (the data for the other frames is only the difference between the last complete frame and the current one *** ) and you start to get an idea of what's involved in even playing back AVCHD.

*** OK that's a simplification but it's good enough for the purposes of this.

You don't need two processors as such - you need multi-core processors which are (sort of) more than one processor on the same chip. Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad are the Intel ranges (but you won't be able to stick one in your Dell)
    Tim

I think I'm with you..

So is that what sort of computer that needs to be on my shopping list...
    ie:
    a multi-core
    or a Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad ?
    What speed of processor are they?
    Thanks
    Is there a model that loads of people reccomend for editing?
    Alex