Thread: firewire audio problem

Default firewire audio problem

hi guys, i'm in need of your help once again. until recently i used a panasonic to download the tapes of my clients with a firewire connection. it worked fine but this cam was't mine so i bought a samsung vp-d392 mini dv camera. the problem is that when i try to download my tapes i get good video but a interrupted sound. i try everything i could think of but nothing....if anyone has an idea of what could i do please help me, i'm pretty desperate...
    thank you

Is the Samsung new or secondhand? The Firewire connection on the Samsung may be loose, have you tried a different firewire cable? If that doesn't fix it then I would take it back to the shop where you bought it but if it is a secondhand camcorder then it may not be possible to get any thing done with it without having to pay for a repair. Check the cable and connections first.

thanks, that's what i thought so now i can return the camera without any doubts.

no good guys...i took the camera to the store and it worked, they gave a new one and i still have the same problem just that now i can't record video as well, it work a few seconds and the it says "lost connection to the device"...i'm beginning to think i'm doing something wrong but i can't figure out what it is...please help.
    thank you

Sorry to hear that. During capture do you have any other programs or utilities running on your computer? If you have any anti virus, screensaver or automatic updating going on (connected to the internet), then disable all of them during capture. Some of these background processes can interfere with capture between the camcorder and the computer. Some more details about your setup might help such as are you usiing windows or mac, operating system, what video editing software are you using, have you downloaded the most recent video and audio codecs? How much free space is remaining on your hard disk?

hi, first of all thanks for taking the time. i use windows xp pro, adobe premiere(also tried moviemaker, windv= same results) a normal firewire card, the camera has 4 pin firewire my cable also...i think i have the new codecs...not really sure there, if you can give me any suggestion i would appreciate it. i recently reinstaled win i all my prog and i get the same weird results. i think i may have lost the money that i spent, i gues that's the price you pay for trying to pay a few bucks less.
    thanks a bunch

In your first post you say...

until recently i used a panasonic to download the tapes of my clients with a firewire connection. it worked fine but this cam was't mine so i bought a samsung vp-d392 mini dv camera. the problem is that when i try to download my tapes i get good video but a interrupted sound.

The audio on the Panasonic may have been recorded in 16Bit where as the Samsung may only be able to play audio back at 12Bit or vice versa. I've seen problems like this happening but with software rather than a camcorder. If I set up a project to capture audio at 12Bit (four audio channels) and during capture I have a piece of video that has audio that was recorded using 16Bit, the capture will end, saying it is not compatible with the project settings. This may have been the case here.

In your third post you say...

i took the camera to the store and it worked.

Worked how? Did they just put a tape in it and play it? Doesn't really prove anything.

and i still have the same problem just that now i can't record video as well, it work a few seconds and the it says "lost connection to the device"...

Check to see if you have any other programs or utilities running during capture as something is cutting the connection between your camcorder and computer. Disable or uninstall them for the time being and see if that makes a difference.

Download K-lite codec pack full (freeware) and install them, download updated drivers for your computer, see if one is available for your IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller, it is made by Microsoft and dated about 2001 or 2002 but more than likely you have the latest version installed. But give it a try just to rule it out. I take it you reformatted the hard disk during re-installing the OS.

Hey florin -

Check the panasonic and see if it was recording in a different format say HDV or something else, that your samsung doesnt. (I.e. shot in HDV, new Samsung is only DV 4:3)

I used to have a small problem when i started out as i would shoot on a Canon and then try and capture useing a JVC! The video came through "OK" ish.. but the sound was warped, this didnt bother me as i always capture the audio on a Zoom H2.

Try and get the camera that the footage was shot on and plug your firewire cable into that - If you can upload to your computer then its the camera you have bought not able to read the DV tape correctly, if it still doesnt work then its the cable or capture card or computer.

I know that doing this will only remove one of the problem aspects, but to be honest firewire cable doesnt go wrong very often, (Not unheard of) capture cards will either work or not and the computer would have shown signs before giving up the ghost all together.

Trust me, try the original tape in the camera it was shot on. You might just be supprised.

Mitch

i already did everything you said and nothing....thank for your help