Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which budget HD camcorder?

Default Which budget HD camcorder?

Hi there, I'm looking for a camcorder which will be used for filming kite sports. I have made several videos in standard definition here so you can get an idea of what im doing:
    Ben Davies on Vimeo

I'm looking to go for a nice HD camcorder, with a budget around 500 for the camcorder itself. I also will be wanting a fish eye lens with a 0.3 magnification, im guessing 100 for a nice fish eye?

Just looking for a bit advise! Not a clue what to get, I don't care which format it is, i use tapes at the moment - but if it appears that tapes are best i dont mind sticking with them.

Thanks!

Buy Samsung HMX20C 8Gb On Board Memory Flash HD Camcorder. at Argos.co.uk

Is this OK?

Will be used for the sport above ^ and may also be used for some wedding videos etc.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

I'm looking at more or less the same thing myself, although my budget is slightly higher and I am thinking about the Canons at around 700.

What seems to he very important with AVCHD is (a) a decent computer to edit the stuff and (b) only listen to people who own an AVCHD camcorder as an awful lot of dross about this format seems to be floating around on the internet.

Since a fish-eye seems to be very important for you, I would suggest that you make sure that the camcorder has a filter thread so that you can attatch supplimentary lenses.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 06-06-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    I'm looking at more or less the same thing myself, although my budget is slightly higher and I an thinking about the Canons at around 700.

What seems to he very important with AVCHD is (a) a decent computer to edit the stuff and (b) only listen to people who own an AVCHD camcorder as an awful lot of dross about this format seems to be floating around on the internet.

Since a fish-eye seems to be very important for you, I would suggest that you make sure that the camcorder has a filter thread so that you can attatch supplimentary lenses.
    Thanks for your reply!

My pc has a dual core proccessor @2.0GHZ with 2gb RAM. Is this good enough?

Thanks on the tip on the filter thread! Whats the most used?

Blog Entries

I don't know if your computer is up to spec (hopefully Marc Peters or someone who works with AVCHD will come to your rescue) as I'm still in the pre-purchase phase myself.

As for filter sizes, there is no "standard". Once you get your camcorder you can try to get a wide-angle attatchment with the same filter size as your camera, or get one near to it and buy an adapter ( a few quid on ebay). I don't think that the Samsung has a filter thread but that's just from memory, the manufacturer's website should help you out with accurate info.

Quote Originally Posted by lolage View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

My pc has a dual core proccessor @2.0GHZ with 2gb RAM. Is this good enough?

Thanks on the tip on the filter thread! Whats the most used?
    You should get away with that spec so long as the graphic processor has at least 250mb of memory (512mb is good) You can work with less, but the refresh will be patchy and the preview very jerky.

Incidentally, AVCHD files are the future - stick with them for high quality, good action capture and small file size.
    Last edited by harleyriv; 06-06-2009 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harleyriv View Post
    You should get away with that spec so long as the graphic processor has at least 250mb of memory (512mb is good) You can work with less, but the refresh will be patchy and the preview very jerky.
    See, instead of getting a quad core proccessor i got a cheap core2duo and got a Nvidia 8800 GTX to go with it with 768mb onboard graphics memory.

See, instead of getting a quad core proccessor i got a cheap core2duo and got a Nvidia 8800 GTX to go with it with 768mb onboard graphics memory.
    That's all very well but the CPU is what's doing the editing, If you can afford a quad core you'll be amazed at the difference it will make to the process.

Quote Originally Posted by harleyriv View Post
    That's all very well but the CPU is what's doing the editing, If you can afford a quad core you'll be amazed at the difference it will make to the process.
    Will it just help the initial speed of exporting it? Or will it be slow to actually edit it?

Will it just help the initial speed of exporting it? Or will it be slow to actually edit it?
    You'll find the timeline scrubbing, editing, rendering will all be considerably faster with the quad core CPU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast