Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few days in Brugge

Blog Entries

Default A few days in Brugge

Bit of a story behind this video. This was the first time my girlfriend's mum had been away for 15 years; she's a full time carer her other daughter. So my girlfriend really wanted me to record the few days. Unfortunately I managed to forget an SD card for my camera. So at the train station I managed to buy 3 1GB memory cards (that's all they had), which gave me 40 odd minutes to film at the lowest quality setting. When I tried to transfer the footage, one of the SD cards had become corrupt, and by some mirracle I managed to rip the footage. Anyway, here it is, nothing special, but treasured by my girlfriend and here mum:

2. Default

At least you could get a memory card, imagine if it had been a Hi8 or HDV camcorder!

Blog Entries

The "record of a family event"" video is vastly underestimated in my opinion. Not intended to win awards or be entered into film festivals but rather to be bought out for a "Do you remember when...?" evening.The sort of thing my Dad would have done with a couple of rolls of 8mm film.

As always, I really like your touch on these sort of films, so there's not a lot to say except... I noticed the lack of shadow detail. Is this because of the low quality recording setting or the vimeo compression?

Nice work and well done for rescuing these vital memories. Love the 'under the bridge' shot
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    I noticed the lack of shadow detail. Is this because of the low quality recording setting or the vimeo compression?
    Forgive my ignorance, does that mean the details within low light, or within shadows created by an another light source (such as inside the train). I noticed a distinct lack of quality compared to other times I've used the camera, but wasn't sure whether this was because of the lower quality setting, or the extremities of the lighting (during the whole trip, there was either exceptionally bright sunshine or very low light inside).

I can upload a small original sample of any part of the clip if that helps. The camera is one of the cheaper AVCHD models (Panasonic HDC-SD9).

Blog Entries

Well done Marc. You've achieved the impossible - making the single most dull city in Europe look attractive and interesting!

Considering the story behind the videos quality I can't see a issue, it's a masterpiece of the everyday.

Video of the month..!
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Well done Marc. You've achieved the impossible - making the single most dull city in Europe look attractive and interesting!
    Brussels is much worse. The best place to hang out was the train station.
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Excellent as ever, great to have memories such as this and people who don't run for cover everytime you take the camera out. A little bit dark in places but nonetheless very enjoyable. Liked the camera hanging over the side of the boat shot, those boats going under the bridge seemed to be moving very quickly or did you speed up that shot? Brugge looks nice if boring, sure beats having to spend two days with jobsworths doing a video on a building site.

10. Default

very great work, awesome video of the trip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast