Thread: Best Render Option for AVCHD?

Default Best Render Option for AVCHD?

Hi all- just a quick question regarding output settings for HD video;

Which file extension should be used? I understand the second setting needs to be at 1080i but I set the output to .AVI and out came a huge file that would only play audio; the other extensions didn't make sense to me...

Your help on this would be awesome!

Thanks, Dave

PS I use Vegas Platinum 8

Blog Entries

The output settings all depend on the media or medium you intend to play it on, not what the source video is.
    Tim

OK, so I rendered as a MPEG2TS file and it at least plays on windows media player; would this be my best quality option to play on my laptop only, with a HDMI connection to my TV?
    If I was to burn it to a DVD, would I need to compress it down to DV widescreen or would this same format above work also?
    Normally I do everything in AVI which I play on my computer and burn to DVD, however as I mentioned earlier when I set it to HDV in AVI it would only play sound on my windows media player and the file was huge...

I've never worked with AVCHD files, just trying to figure out optimal quality for laptop use only and for DVDs; any help's appreciated!

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave, If you are converting interlaced HD it is probably going to be upper field first so you must make your DVD upper field first, as for file extensions they can be .MTS .m2ts or .mpg and probably others but they are the ones my programs use, why are you converting from the original HD format is it that your laptop wont play the original video and has to be converted, what program are you using to edit with, I always choose the AVCHD output 1920x1080i and keep the bit rate about the same as the original or slightly higher.

Cheers Bryan
    Last edited by wandering-free; 06-09-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: want to add some more

Thanks for the reply!

I use Vegas 8 Platinum Edition, it seems to have everything I need as I keep the editing of sledding and biking pretty simple.
    I learned how to use Vegas on my own and can see that I still have a long way to go; the thing that threw me was that neither my desktop nor my laptop would play my AVCHD when I made it into an AVI file (and it was huge!), but I seem to have better luck with M2TS.
    My output option that most closely resembles what you suggest is HDV 1080 X 60 something or another; I'll make sure to check the bit rate as I've never played with this before.

Always something to learn!

Hi Dave, it depends on whether the HDV 1080 is using the h264 video compression and is the same as your camera resolution, you might find it is HDV 1080x1440 and that's not good if your camera is 1080x1920, if you have custom settings see if you can find one that uses h264 at your video cameras resolution.
    Bryan

Thanks for the help, I'll check those settings right away!

Wandering-Free- what editing program do you use that gives you the option of "AVCHD- 1920-1080"? I use Vegas Platinum Edition 8 and my best project setting is 1440-1080, perhaps I need to upgrade?

Ah, the growing pains of moving to a new video format...

Hi Dave I use Corel Video Studio Pro X2 but I would have thought Vegas would give you the same resolution, I think at one time they restricted there consumer programs to1440x1080i with AVCHD 4.0 main profile but since most other programs use AVCHD high profile 4.1 I thought they had relaxed there restriction, so maybe you can just update, it's worth a try.
    Good luck
    Bryan