Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help a noob

Question Please help a noob

Hi, first post

I have recently got into recording my hobby flying R/C Helicopters. They move around real fast and are hard to keep up with

Here is an example of what I am trying to capture:

You will have to excuse the fat kid at the beginning (that's me)

I really want a HD 1080p camcorder now. I have been looking at this:

Canon HF20 Camcorder | HF 20 Camcorder | VIXIA Camcorders | UK

I don't want HDD as it will get knocked about a bit.

As far as HD goes I understand the 720p, 1080i and 1080p bits, but the thing that is confusing me is the 24p, 25p, and all this cinema mode stuff. Basically I dont want to spend the money on the camera before I understand it as I don't want to find I am missing out on something I could of had in the first place.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Tom

No advice on cams, but nice trix with such a deadly machine.
    Have you thought of mounting a cam on there and getting aerial shots?
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Thanks. Not done it with a heli but I have with a R/C plane

24p = 24 frame progressive = supposed to add a 'film' look to your video.

Blog Entries

Rather that a new camera, I would suggest a tripod. This will enable you to zoom in on your helicopter without the wobble. You'll be able to get a range of close-ups despite the eratic nature of the subject. A new camera will add nothing. A range of diferent shots will add wonders.

I agree

I havent been able to watch the videos yet, but if Marc says get a tripod i can assume that you havent used one.

A tripod will give you the stability that we all need, it WILL give you a better shot and WILL make the same shot look painless.

24 p = 24 Frames Per Second in Progressive mode.
    25 = 25 Frames Per Second (Pal standard)
    Interlaced is when 2 frames are used to make one
    Progressive is a single frame.

Interlaced will use 50 frames to make 25 interlaced frames
    Progressive will use 25 whole frames.

1080p would be the best you can get at the moment, but look very close at the small print before you buy. a HD camcorder that says it will shoot HD footage may only give you 620 x 400 or if it does say 1080 HD then this will be 1080i (Interlaced). Just try and think about the end user - WIll this be for Web, DVD, Blueray, or TV then buy what you need.

Mitch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brgsstm View Post
    I don't want HDD as it will get knocked about a bit.
    Not really sure I understand this. Flash based devices such as MP3 players have been around for years, and one of the main selling points was the lack of moving parts - so you can jump around as much as you like and you won't miss a beat (pun intended). A HDD camera doesn't mean you'll have a spinning disk such as a PC HardDrive. This will be solid state media - surely you'd have to go some pretty damn extreme extremes to stop these from working?

Solid state and hard disk, surely two different types of storage device? Solid state = inbuilt memory like those portable USB memory sticks, I think they are called EPROM's. Obviously with no moving parts there is no need to worry about lots of movement. Just need to clarify which type you are intending to use.

Thanks for the replies. By HDD drive I mean just that. I want to get a camera that has flash memory built in with the option to expand it ie. SDHC cards.

The thing is, I dont really want to zoom in on the helicopter too much. I find that if you zoom too close you lose all relativity of the speed/reaction of the heli. I just want some really high quality footage

Any thoughts on the Canon HF 20?

Thanks again,

Tom

HF 20 is a good camcorder, just manual focusing might be tricky using a joystick. Look for reviews on Youtube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast