Thread: Uploading footage to my PC (Sony FX7 + Adobe Premiere)

Default Uploading footage to my PC (Sony FX7 + Adobe Premiere)

So I recently bought a Sony FX7 and I've taken some test footage to get used to the camera. I want to upload it to my PC, but I can't get my PC or Adobe Premiere (trial) to recognize it when I plug in the camera via firewire cable. It may be that I'm using the wrong cable, as the manual says to use an i.Link, though i don't know what that is. The footage is in the 1080i format, and it's recorded to the mini-DV tape in the camera. I'm not quite sure what I have to do to get the footage onto my computer to edit it, but I would appreciate any and all help!

Other specs: running Windows Vista, have plenty of room on my hard drive, camera is set to VCR when plugged in, but it still won't import.

Thanks!

Are you sure you are using a Firewire cable and not a USB cable? Does the computer make a beeping noise when you connect the camcorder to the computer and does a small window appear with 3 or 4 options on it asking questions such as which application you wish to capture video from? Also check in the Device Manager that the IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers are present and working.

it's definitely a firewire cable, but looking in my device manager i see no IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers. is there some way i can get that? or am i just out of luck?

If you have a desktop computer you will need to see if you have a spare PCI slot inside. If you do, then you can purchase a PCI card with 3 external Firewire sockets on it. It will only take 5 minutes to insert it, just switch off the computer, take off the side panel, remove the metal strip at the back of the computer as the new card needs to stick out, and insert the card into the slot until it 'snaps'.

Make sure it is seated properly (securely) in the slot and that it is aligned with the opening on the back of the computer. It may need a small securing screw to attach it to the computer case, these are rarely supplied with the card so you may want to ask the sales assistant in the shop if they have any spare ones. If they don't you will still need to find one. Once everything is secure, attach the side panel again, switch on the computer and Windows should auto detect it. Again, check the Device Manager to make sure it is showing up.

If you are using a laptop, does it have an Express card slot or the older PCMCIA slot? If it has one or the other, then you can get a card with 2 Firewire sockets on it and you can slide this into the slot on the laptop. You may want to bring the laptop with you to the computer shop just to check before buying.