Thread: Building a PC for Canon 5d mk II

Default Building a PC for Canon 5d mk II

Hi there, first time posting here.
    I'm a photographer delving into videography now with the 5d mark II. Not trying to do anything too spectacular, but mostly trailers with brief clips and effects. I work with PS CS4, After Effects CS4 and Premiere Pro CS4 (All legal!) I also do photoshop, design, and web design, so I would like to be able to perform all these tasks on a single machine.

This will be my first time building a PC, though I have an experienced friend who will be able to help me. I'd just like to be able to choose my own equipment with some help! I've been doing some editing on my Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with 2gb ram, Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.20 GHz. It is just too cumbersome to get anything edited, let alone rendered.

Questions I have:

Quad core or Dual core?

What version of Vista?

Hard drive configuration? I would like the security of having a backup at all times. I am vaguely familiar with RAID configurations, let me know what you think and I will further research them.

Importance of video card? I do not plan to do much gaming...

RAM: Is 8GB enough?

Optical: Anyone had experience with Litescribe? I burn DVDs for clients and wonder if this is a good option.

Budget- I am trying to stay under $1,500 USD.

I am so grateful for anyone who takes the time to consider my situation. Please feel free to add any other advice as needed. Thank you.

Those MOV files from Canon are the devil in disguise to work with even with those specs best covert the files to another format first to work with.

here is one i have done recently on a Quad core, as a trial, I had to convert the files to work on it better. Edited in Vegas 8

Working with 5DII files is pretty intensive, id advice a quad core for sure. Might be worth getting 64bit OS so you can have more ram, but the CPU is the most important bit. A decent video card is advisable too.

Some more info...

8GB is enough i'd say, from experience video editing software isn't too hungry for RAM. Also you mention hardrive configurations, a RAID 0 set up isn't vital, the only thing i'd say to make sure you do is keep your OS and video files seperate. I'd say OS on one hardrive, video clips on another, and rendered files on another.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Those MOV files from Canon are the devil in disguise to work with even with those specs best covert the files to another format first to work with.

here is one i have done recently on a Quad core, as a trial, I had to convert the files to work on it better. Edited in Vegas 8

What did you convert the files to?
    Last edited by benesotor; 06-06-2009 at 06:30 PM.