Thread: Using .mts format on mac -- plethora of issues.

Default Using .mts format on mac -- plethora of issues.

I'm a n00b on VF but I know the rules of the game: I scoured the database and couldn't find an answer to my question so here goes:

I'm in the market for a new mac but I want to be able to edit and playback movies from my SONY HDR-CX100/R but there seem to be a few issues.

1. I went to the Apple Store last night to playback a 180 MB file with VLC Player but the video was choppy as hell-- even on an 8-core MacPro with 4GB of Ram. How can I get it to playback smoothly?

2. I went to import it into FinalCut Pro but it didn't recognize the format. I downloaded a free converter (Video Converter for Mac - Mac Video converter, excellent AVI, MKV, MOV, MP4 Converter on Mac OS X) but the quality worsened and wasn't usable.

What can I do to avoid the choppy playback and edit the video in .mts format?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance!!

ID

I think a Mac always does a conversion to an intermediate format to edit so is likely to down grade the original quality, I'm not an Apple user so can't really help but isn't there a way of putting a widows based program onto an Apple, my Canon HF10 came with software that plays the MTS files without a hitch so yours probably does to, my computer is a Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz 2GB ram, with Windows XP. so not the fastest around but does OK.

Cheers Bryan

Wandering Free, what is the Canon HF10 like to use? Sorry to hi-jack the thread but I'm just looking for the opinion of someone who has one of these Canon HF camcorders.

Hi Nikosony, It's a great little camera with one major flaw, no view finder, the LCD is good and works well in sunlight better than a lot I've used it can also display grid lines to enable you to get things vertical and horizontal, but for me with long sight I have to change my glasses every time I use it, the thing with these cameras is you must keep your panning and zooming to a minimum and use a tripod were possble, they put out excelent video if you keep them steady, if you want to check out some video I have on Vimeo I have some on our Kayak (vimeo.com/3904297) but it's down graded from the original 1920x1080i to 720x1280 it just gives an idea of how it handles movement, if I was getting one now I would be looking at the HF11 with it's higher bitrate.
    Bryan
    Last edited by wandering-free; 06-09-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added more

Thanks Bryan for the info, much appreciated. I'm stuck between the Canon range, I was looking at the HF200 and the Panasonic TM300 which has a manual focus ring (of sorts) on the lens. Not cheap at nearly 1000 but being able to turn a ring to focus manually is a big selling point for me. I think if the current Canon range had this feature it would have put them on a higher level altogether. I've read about the panning and how it can leave artifacts behind if you do it too quickly so you just need to watch out with that one (a lot less hose-piping from now on).