Thread: Background Music & Sound effects

Default Background Music & Sound effects

So I have been trying to figure out how to turn down the background music *only* when I have a sound effect.

Scenario:
    I primarily make movies for World of Warcraft raids. I want the background music to turn down when i have a boss speaking. I can fade the music out completely and i can change the volume of the actual sound effect (boss speaking) but I cant get the background music to continue while the sound effect is playing.

The only work around I was able to figure out was to have background music playing at around 80% throughout the whole movie and then let the sound effect play at 100% when it goes off.

It's frustrating because you can easily drag the volume line in the sound effect to play lower but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the music to just dim down a bit until the sound effect clip finishes.

After writing that down it's even tough to explain... So if anyone is confused please let me know and i will try to elaborate.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to answer.

"Duck-Under" - This is what it is called. When the music, SFXs, Foley, Voices-off need to be reduced - duck-under - the main audio focus.

In Vegas I would Insert a Volume Envelope on the tracks needing this special attention and it is both easy and rather good fun! I full blown VEgas you get to use sliders that you can sit back and Roll-Video and slide the vols up and down as you watch and listen. OK, once you have your envelopes on your Audio, right click directly ion the Envelope line and place 4 points. The first pair take the volume down nicely and the next pair bring them up. Although this is a rough simplification, once you are back at the Timeline I am sure you will get the hang of it quickly! I like doing this work. You could also put offset fades on audio Events and lower the "Gain" situated right at the very top of the Audio Event.

So, 2 ways so far:

1] Vol Envelopes

2] Evert Fades and Gains

I will definitely try this when I get home. I have the full blown version of Vegas 9.

The envelope is applied to the music track itself? This seems to make the most sense.
    The sound effect can still go in the sound effect track (I was having to dump it into the actualy music track to get at least some of the desired effect).

What a fun program to work with. It is incredibly easy to pickup but still leaves me feeling dwarfed by all the potential it has.

Now if only i had a good source for youtube friendly music that didnt keep getting me in trouble with the WMA lol...

Thank you for your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snarley View Post
    The envelope is applied to the music track itself?
    Yes, as an Insert.

The sound effect can still go in the sound effect track (I was having to dump it into the actualy music track to get at least some of the desired effect).
    Well, yes . . but i also give separate tracks to ALL my Audio bits. It is easy to do and just makes for more creativity.

What a fun program to work with. It is incredibly easy to pickup but still leaves me feeling dwarfed by all the potential it has.
    - Yes it is FUN! - I've been using Vegas for 7 years now? The upgrades and the way SONY are getting the philosophy of working with the Users is great too.

thanks again for the quick responses