Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any software that supports a collection of video clips?

Default Any software that supports a collection of video clips?

Are there any video editing programs (other then windows movie maker) that can store a library of clips, preferably across different projects? I'm not sure if that makes sense, so an example:

I've got dozens of 30-45 minute avi's. Of these, I may only use about 3-4 minutes of footage, dispersed randomly through the video in 20-30 second clips. It takes a lot of time to split up the video, and It would be nice if I could do it once, then have a collection of say "sunsets" or "lightning" that I could just drop into a new movie easily. WMM seems to do this perfectly - I can open a new project and immediately have access to hundreds of short clips I've spent hours (days!) filtering through. I'm just starting to get the urge for something more advanced.

I tried the trial version of Sony Vegas, and I love the interface. But it seems I'm limited to trimming/storing clips in the timeline on a project to project basis, which seems silly.

I've thought about taking the clips, making new .avi's out of them and then using these, but it just ends up being extra wasted storage and is a lot of time additionally.
    Last edited by HamOverFist; 06-02-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Windows movie maker is basically made for this. Vegas is your normal standard style video editor, you can ofcourse just copy and paste the project will all of the mini clip parts on the time line and just rearrange them about a bit.

Yeah, thats kind of what it seems like. It's a drag, because as rubbish as WMM is I'd be fine sticking w/ it but can't stand the versions available on windows 7.

Just wondering, but does Vegas have any tools to help deal with clips? Can you label sections/clips in the timeline? Mark/save selections in the trimmer and pull them into the timeline later?? By itself, putting the stuff on the timeline as a means of storage seems kinda lame - no sorting by duration, hard to organize into hierarchies. I know most folk would take Vegas over WMM in a heartbeat, so I feel a lot of this frustration is being ignorant and new at it.

I don't have any experience with Vegas, i Use Adobe Premiere, sorry.

Vegas has Media Manager. I use it all the time. It works for me.

Now, your mileage may not be the same as mine, so, if you want to upgrade to Vegas from WMM your are going to need to do much more homework and research on testing whether this is the NLE for you and your current hardware and TEN decide if this is the appropriate "Media Manager" for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Vegas has Media Manager. I use it all the time. It works for me.
    Sounds promising.

I'm using a trial version of Vegas Movie Studio (The cheap $60 one) and I can't seem to find any reference to it. Does this have Media Manager?? If not, how high up do I have to go to get it?

Quote Originally Posted by HamOverFist View Post
    If not, how high up do I have to go to get it?
    - Top Shelf! You'll need a box to stand on . . but you CAN get an upgrade discount.

Here is a link to the Vegas Family Comparison Table too:

Sony Creative Software - Vegas Pro 9 - Vegas Family Comparison

I'm giving the pro version a free trial. From what I can tell, the media manager still doesn't seem to do what I'd like.

If I have 10 files, each 1 minute long, 4 of sunsets, 4 of birds and 2 of sunsets AND birds, I can import those and give them appropriate tags.

However, If I have 1 file, 10 minutes long, with the same footage (just all bunched into 1 file) I still can't really make any organizational meta data WITHOUT splitting the file into clips, saving as a new .avi. ie., the organization is only as granular as a single file. Am I just way new at this?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Ok, after playing around w/ vegas a little, conclusion is it's awesome and can do what I'd like, just in a different way. This tutorial seems geared at managing long files and helped me a lot:

Sony Creative Software - Discovering the Sony Vegas Pro Trimmer window

Generally, instead of divvying up a clip in the project media tab (equivalent of how it would have been done in WMM) just drag the vid to the trimmer and divvy it up w/ regions. Label and save the regions, and the metadata seems to persist from project to project. Select different vids with a file selector near the top. Save as subclips if you like and then move these over to the media tab.

Only prob is that the cheaper versions don't seem to support subclips, but the region saving is probably enough. Either way, I'm content and happy I found something. Thanks all!

Blog Entries

You're still not using Media Manager. What Grazie failed to mention is that it's a SEPARATE download.

Go to this page:

Sony Creative Software - Download: Vegas Pro

Now under "Related Files", you'll find the link for Media Manager.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast